how does the fmr rnla differ from the rnc?

• Members

I hafta actually dash out of the house right now, but in short, sonically, the RNLA imparts harmonic distortion, kinda puts a little hair on the audio; the RNC is rather clean. Look up their site for more details. They're both good. I own both and like 'em equally for different reasons, although I use the RNLA more often.

Depends on what you want to do to your audio and what kind of music you record.

What Ken mentioned are the primary differences. The RNLA is more "colored" and the RNC is more transparent. If you want to hear the compressor, and get some tonal contribution from the compressor, then use the RNLA. If you want to have gain reduction / riding but NOT hear the box working, the RNC is the better choice.

Both are excellent boxes, and HUGE on the bang for the bucks performance scale IMO. Having both is definitely not redundant.

• Members

cool... thanks guys

anyone here use the pbc-6a?... it seems to get a lot of good reviews too

I've heard really good things about it, and many of the people on GearSlutz seem to like it, but I've never gotten my mitts on that myself. If you go to the Mercenary Audio site, they have tons of audio clips for you to enjoy. Do bear in mind that the pbc-6a is noticeably more expensive than the other two.

And I would agree with Phil that having the RNC and the RNLA is definitely NOT redundant.

• Members

keen to hear thoughts from users of both ... including best applications etc.

thanks

Best applications...this really depends.

I love the RNLA for bass and rock vocals and electric guitar. I also sometimes use it on drum overheads for rock songs, but I only own one, so I usually put it on bass instead.

I love RNC for bass (when I want it really clean and don't want artifacts of any kind) and vocals, particularly ballad-type vocals, and obviously any scenario where I don't want distortion. Acoustic guitars might be another good application for this.

Archived