Troubleshooting effects processor hookup to mixer

• Members

Hello! I am new here and I need some help. Please excuse my lack of knowledge...but that's why I'm here!

I am trying to run a Behringer Virtualizer Pro (DSP2024P) via aux sends to my Yamaha MG16/6FX. All of this is being bussed out to my Tascam Multitrack recorder. I think I have the effects processor hooked up properly...Aux send to input of DSP, Output of DSP back to aux return of my mixer. I have my aux knob cranked, but no effected signal can be heard. I can hear the dry signal coming through, but no effects. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Again, please excuse my possible lack of information on this question. I appreciate any help! Thanks.

• Members

mg16-6fx.jpg

Is this the mixer you have? And how do you have the Tascam plugged in? Also which aux send do you have the Behringer plugged into 1, 2, or the fx? And lastly do you have red knob under return turned up?

The church youth group uses a larger version of that mixer so I have a little experience with them.

• Members

Yes this is exactly the mixer I have. I am running 1/4" cables out of each of the group outs (1-4) into channels 1-4 of the Tascam. As I mentioned, I can hear the mic signal just fine - loud and crisp - with this hook-up. I have tried several routing options with the Behringer... I ran Aux Send 1 --> DSP In--->DSP Out---> Aux Return... Then I tried running the Behringer in stereo with both Aux sends into both inputs of the DSP then back to the mixer. And, yes, I have the red 'ST' button in the RETURN signal turned up. I'm still baffled.

Thanks for your help thus far...:)

• Members

Okay. Are you using the main outs for anything? The fx return can only be routed back into the main outs and aux sends outs. There is no way that I know of to route it to the group outs. So if that's the case try hooking the return up to maybe channels 15/16. That should allow you to route it to the group outputs.

Also no matter how you have it routed, and you may have already done this, there should be a "dry defeat" setting on the fx unit. It may be called something different, but make sure it is on. With it on all you should hear is the fx coming out of the unit. Then you can control how loud it is by how much you send into the unit.

Hope that helps. :)

• Members

How would I go about routing the sends to a channel on the mixer as you mentioned in your post? Thank you so much!

instead of plugging the cable from the efx into the aux return, plug it into the line in of the channel e.g. 15/16 or any other line in input of any channel which is free

• Members

Also download the Behringer Manual. I have that unit and theres some setting in the unit that need to be set depending on weather you're putting it in an effects loop or running it in line and want to use the mix knob.

What you want is the effects set for 100% wet. If you have it set in like like you would for placing it between a mixer and Power head, and connect it to an effects loop it will create a feedback loop.

• Members

instead of plugging the cable from the efx into the aux return, plug it into the line in of the channel e.g. 15/16 or any other line in input of any channel which is free

Yeah. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'd use one of the aux send outs > fx unit input. Fx unit outputs > channel 15/16. Then I'd route channel 15/16 to whatever you need to have the fx sound going to. I'd leave that channel 15/16's fader at 0. Make sure the master aux send knob is turned up. The arrow at about "3 o'clock" is unity. Then turn up aux 1 on which ever channels you want the fx on up to taste. Hope that makes sense.

Archived