Interesting new tinnitus research...

Interesting thread over on HCEF regarding new tinnitus research that I thought you guys might be interested in:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2702232

Looks like the brain is responsible for the symptoms of tinnitus, not just the damage to they physical structures of the inner ear itself; at least that's what the latest research suggests. There are possible implications in terms of treatments for current sufferers, and I look forward to reading more after the research is released on the 14th.

Watch your levels folks, and wear hearing protection! :cop::wave:

• Moderators

And don't fly when you have a bad cold, at least not before using some Afrin. :cry:

My otoneurologist offers tinnitus treatment based on reprogramming your brain to ignore the damaged nerves - this treatment is pretty well established and probably available at any modern otoneurology dept.

Besides the ringing you get when your high frequency hearing is damaged, there are brain effects from low frequency hearing loss also. Those manifest as a constant, irritating feeling that your ear has something physical inside it.

Both the tinnitus and feeling of fullness are reactions by your brain to nerve damage in your cochlea. Mild tinnitus and even mild "fullness" are eventually adjusted for by the brain for most folks. Some people aren't so lucky, but there is treatment available.

I should add that there are other causes for hearing loss, especially one-sided hearing loss other than noise exposure. In my case it was a pressurization accident (barotrauma), but sometimes a small benign (or rarely, malignant) tumor can press on the eight cranial nerve. As the tumor graduallly grows, your hearing will be affected on that side. A MRI is required to diagnose that and if your neurologist recommends that you should definitely have it, as it might save your life.

Another cause for apparent sensorineural loss (nerve damage) is atypical Meniere's disease. In Meniere's syndrome, the fluid balance of your inner ear is disturbed causing hearing loss (usually low frequency loss, but sometimes high frequency loss) and is normally associated also with balance problems but not always. I wouldn't say you're lucky if you have this, but it can be treated successfully with diuretics.

And finally, not all hearing loss is sensorineural. There's also conductive loss which happens in the middle ear. This is the type of hearing loss you often experience when you have a bad cold or an ear infection, due to fluid in your middle ear not draining properly. But there are other, non-temporary causes for conductive hearing loss such as changes in the little bone chain, eardrum problems, issues with the contact between bone and the oval window of your cochlea. Without exception, middle ear problems are very treatable because access is relatively simple.

My advice if you're having tinnitus, hearing problems, or difficulty understanding speech in a room is to just see your ENT doc and get a hearing test. There are very simple procedures, totally non invasive (no cutting or pain) to determine the extent and nature of your hearing loss and establish the cause.

For instance, one humorous test they do which you can very safely do at home, is to put a vibrating tuning fork against your forehead in the center. If you have nerve damage hearing loss, the sound will localize to your good ear. Otherwise, the sound will appear to be in the center, as you're hearing primarily through bone conduction and not your eardrums.

You do have a tuning fork at home, don't you? It's the one tuning reference that always works, batteries not required. ;)

And of course they have lots of high tech stuff there too.

Most issues can be treated very effectively, so don't put it off.

Terry D.

P.S. I'm not a medical doctor, but I've had more contact with ENTs and otoneurologists in the last two years than any person should have in several lifetimes. I've had really good doctors who not only were very competent in diagnosing and treating me, but were patient and gracious enough to explain what was going on at all times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Tinnitus is a nightmare...constant ringing in my left ear 24/7/365.

I can see it ultimately driving me insane. And there's never been a time when I didn't protect my hearing. The clinking of kitchen dishes is like putting my ear up against a cranked guitar amp. This is a nightmare you can't wake up from.

• Members

anything on swimmers ear, its killing me srsly, cant play any music lately , have had it for about a year constantly now, if this keeps up ill have to consider knocking this whole music lark on the head !
:)

What is the swimmer's ear caused by? Frequently, it's by ear was build-up, isn't it? If so, you can go to a doctor and have them flush that out.

• Moderators

What is the swimmer's ear caused by? Frequently, it's by ear was build-up, isn't it? If so, you can go to a doctor and have them flush that out.

Swimmer's ear is the same thing as an external ear infection, and is a bacterial or fungus infection. It starts with a break in the thin skin of the ear canal allowing pathogens in (possibly from swimming in nasty water). It's treated with antibiotics or antifungals, and maybe steroids to reduce inflammation while the antibiotics do their work.

Terry D.

Archived