have trouble playing a fender scale and radius

bluewolf

• Members

I have two teles that i have had for a couple of years and I have a Samick that i play almost all the time now because i could never get used to a fender scale. The Samick is an av7, kind of a les paul clone and I put seymour duncan alnico pro 2's and it sounds great!!! My teles sound great but I cant play nearly as well on a fender scale and radius. The samick just plays like butter and I have had pro set ups on the teles!!! Anybody find this to be true?? I am really thinking about selling my teles and getting a les Paul studio and put Phat cats in it Anybody out there really prefer a gibson scale???

• Members

I used to be pretty picky about the radius, these days, I own guitars with 7.25, 9.5, 12-ish and 16 inches. Going from 16 to 7.25 is a bit of a shock, but I mostly play on the 9.5 and 12s so going from either of those to the 7.25 of my tele isn't a radical change to my fingers.

My tele has the dual HBs and I find that if I try to shred at all, it's pretty sloppy because I usually hold my hand more angular on 16" shreddy guitars which I can't really do on the Tele.

• Members

I thoroughly dislike the combination of 7.25 radius and tiny "vintage" frets. A great as they sound this is why I'll never have a 52 ri tele.
It may be period correct or whatever, but that is a place where guitars have definitly improved through time, most now having flatter boards.

The 25.5 scale is no problem for me though

• Members

I play 16", compound 7.5 - 9.5" and 12".

I like them all BUT it depends what I'm playing. For blues rhythm chording I love the smaller radius neck.

I prefer a narrower neck with a C profile - 41 to 42mm and seem to prefer a 24.75" length. I have small mitts.

Archived