Boss SD-1 Vs. Blues Driver

burton4snow

• Members

I'd say the Boss Blues Driver hands down between those two. The SD-1 has a nasty mid-hump to it, and kills all your bass. I bought the SD-1 and returned it the next day (got the BD-2 instead).

With that said, I have no idea which would go better with a Bad Monkey, but alone, the BD-2 is worlds better than the SD-1 tonewise. I don't know how anyone can use the SD-1 unless it's purely as a boost.

Sorry to those who like the SD-1 :cool:

• Members

First OD pedal I ever owned was an SD-1 and still have it to this day. I hate it, is worthless IMO. I used it on one recording with some decent results, but it was also mixed with massive reverb, phase and tremelo for a kind of freaked out wobbly/whooshy/windy dirty effect. Sounded cool in that regard!

• Members

Originally posted by dwerlin

The SD-1 has a nasty mid-hump to it, and kills all your bass.

I hate the killing of the bass.

I actually like what it does to the mids (and how it manipulates the tone overall). It's certainly far from clean, but I dig its vibe so much that I can almost (but not quite) put up with the bass loss!

• Members

Like i said, BD-2 all the way, unless you get one of these :

SpiderSD-1ON.jpg

The Spider SD-1 - maiden England.

Has "socketed" OP-AMP chips & Diodes mountings !

Will go from clean boost (waaaay louder thatn stock), to nasty, sexy, dirty-overdrive to complete Garage-Punk Distortion mayhem !!!

. . . :evil: . . . :evil: . . . :evil:

Cheers

:thu:

• Members

Mmmmmm, i forgot about that !

Like some of the other folk said, why not try TWO-Bad Monkey's !?

They are TS (tubescreamer clones) and my cousin does it with great effect.

his chain goes like this :

Ibanez RG121 -->TS9 --> TS9 --> 5150 Combo (60W, 2x12) :evil:

And he has great tone

. . . :thu: . . .

• Members

I like the blues driver.

It sounded warmer than the SD-1.

It responded better than the SD-1

While both pedals can dial in a fair amount of gain, the blues driver was much better at dialing in that lighly overdriven sound when you still want to sound relatively clean, but be able to sound fuller and more dynamic. That was what really sold me.

• Members

I like them both, as compared to one another, I guess it depends on the sound you are after. The BD-2 I think has a little more gain and doesn't have the mid-hump like the SD-1, in other words the BD-2 is more transparent. The SD-1 on the other hand has more compression that the BD-2 lacks. If you are wanting more of a tubescreamer sound then the SD-1 is the way to go, if you don't want the mid-hump, then grab the BD-2.

• Members

Haha I must play devils advocate (kinda) And reccomend using both. I use them both together for my dirty sound, the blues driver has this amazing distortion when turned up and the SD-1 acts as another gain boost, it just works so perfectly imo. Its the same setup as the subways Billy Lunn, Check out their song "Oh Yeah" if you wanna hear a BD-2 and SD-1 used together.

Archived