Help me build/buy the perfect strat

SE1081

• Members

I'm planning on getting a strat very soon. I have enought buckers and I want a strat that will cover SRV-Eric Johnson-Clapton and even yngwie. my main question is what's the best pickup combo to get for that good ole' strat sound?

I'm mainly looking for a single coil based guitar, but if there's something I should know about, let me know. I'm not looking for a hard rock or metal sound, mainly blues, jazz and old rock.

As always, thanks for your time!

• Members

Well there are obvviously 100000 answers to this, maybe even 100001.

Let's start at the beginning - what's your budet? And given what that is what's wrong with the equivalent fender strat in the range new or used? If nothing, get it.

The signature guitars for those guys are very different - particularly YJM with the scallopped board.

• Members

I know it's a hard question to answer quickly. I Don't mind spending $2 or 3K if it's well worth it, but I was curious if there was one that would stand out above the rest?

I would really like to keep it under 2k if I could, it seems very possible.

• Members

Well it's a really broad subject isn't it?

I mean For that money the world's your oyster. Almost any current produciton fender, not to mention G&L, Anderson, Grosh, Melancol, Suhr etc etc etc.

It's probably the most popular guitar design ever with a zillion permutations and you've got a wedge of cash - there's no 'better' it's taste.

Why not check out the Eric Johnson strat - heard alot of good things about that.

• Members

Originally posted by JimH

Well it's a really broad subject isn't it?

I mean For that money the world's your oyster. Almost any current produciton fender, not to mention G&L, Anderson, Grosh, Melancol, Suhr etc etc etc.

It's probably the most popular guitar design ever with a zillion permutations and you've got a wedge of cash - there's no 'better' it's taste.

Why not check out the Eric Johnson strat - heard alot of good things about that.

I'm not a big strat dictionary kinda guy, but i know the EJ strat is pretty much amazing, and that Suhr is one of the best production guitars you can purchase today. Also look into Carvin if you want a custom guitar, or even ESP custom shop:)

• Members

The perfect strat:

1)

1 piece alder body in 2tone sunburst nitro

1 piece maple neck with vintage frets 7.5" radius

3 single coils without RWRP middle pup

standard 5 way switch

single ply white pickguard 8 hole

white pickup covers

slotted tuners

6point vintage trem (blocked)

or

2)

1 piece alder body in royal blue nitro

Maple neck with ebony board jumob frets, compound 12 - 16" radius

2 Humbuckers - black

three way blade switch

black single ply pickguard 8 hole

slotted tuners

that's just me....

personally i'm a big fan of the 57RI strats. give them a try.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

for 2-3k, get 2 or 3 strats, not just one. maybe throw a tele in there too
:thu:

:D

Had I that sort of money, and were I buying at UK prices, I'd be looking into the CIJ Range - probably a 52RI Tele, a 68RI Strat, and a 57RI Strat. (I don't really care much for the 62s.... lovey guitars, but I already have three with rosewood, and these days I prefer maple....).

But hey ho..... if you're looking for something to play hard rock on, I think you're looking at a different market than the 57s maybe? Though the beauty of Strats - especially if you want to stick with scs, or at least sc sized pups, is that you can buy the one that feels right to *you* in all other aspects, and change out the pups for something you'd rather have later on. My choice for hard rock styles would be something along the lines of a 70s RI type (think Blackmore), or possibly even a 68RI (think Hendrix).... if you wanted something a bit more metal, the Iron Maiden sig model might be your birdy. Think about the use you're likely to make of a trem - do you want a Floyd? Easier to buy a Strat with one of those already in it.... Otherwis,e I personally find the modern two-point fender trem can take asll the abuse I can throw at it - my MIA is still my weapon of chocie when i really want to whammy for that reason (even though these days I prefer a six screw, vintage style system).

The ral beauty of Leo's design ,though, is that you can put one - or have one put - together with pretty much any combination you want - if you can't find what you want complete and you want more than the pups and pots changed, I'd think about gonig custom.

RawK!

• Members

I just went through this. Here's what I did for just over $500. I "built" (assembled) a 70s RI clone. Started with a MIM classic series 70s RI body in natural lightweight swamp ash (i like ash the best). Wet sanded the thick poly off it down to a nice almost bare wood satin finish. Got a like new 72 Tele Deluxe (large Strat headstock) neck w med jum frets and 12" radius off a part out site on ebay for $200. F tuners cost $40. Grabbed a Fender 57/62 PU off ebay for $20 another Fender fat 50's neck PU for $40 then bought a reverse wound GFS vintage alnico for $17 new. Vintage trem ebay cost $40. Nice parchment guard $10, etc. Looks and sounds wonderful. Had a real decision to make re which PU to put in neck vs. bridge. For now the 57/62 is in the bridge w/o a baseplate. At some point I'll swap the PUs around just to make sure I got it right. I understand the prev poster not wanting reverse wound, but when you play out it can get noisy sometimes w/o it depending upon your environment. I also like vintage frets and radius, but I wanted a fast player so I bit on the TDeluxe neck. My whole point is anyone w/ access to a solder gun can "build" a great guitar just like you like/want it for less than $600 - why pay more?

• Members

Originally posted by Gris

I just went through this. Here's what I did for just over $500. I "built" (assembled) a 70s RI clone. Started with a MIM classic series 70s RI body in natural lightweight swamp ash (i like ash the best). Wet sanded the thick poly off it down to a nice almost bare wood satin finish. Got a like new 72 Tele Deluxe (large Strat headstock) neck w med jum frets and 12" radius off a part out site on ebay for $200. F tuners cost $40. Grabbed a Fender 57/62 PU off ebay for $20 another Fender fat 50's neck PU for $40 then bought a reverse wound GFS vintage alnico for $17 new. Vintage trem ebay cost $40. Nice parchment guard $10, etc. Looks and sounds wonderful. Had a real decision to make re which PU to put in neck vs. bridge. For now the 57/62 is in the bridge w/o a baseplate. At some point I'll swap the PUs around just to make sure I got it right. I understand the prev poster not wanting reverse wound, but when you play out it can get noisy sometimes w/o it depending upon your environment. I also like vintage frets and radius, but I wanted a fast player so I bit on the TDeluxe neck. My whole point is anyone w/ access to a solder gun can "build" a great guitar just like you like/want it for less than $600 - why pay more?

we want pics and sounclips :):thu:

• Members

For $1,300 (you could probably get it for $1,100), there's a very slightly used Valley Arts at a local shop. H/S/S pickups, vintage type trem that stays in VERY good tune if you don't get crazy. Neck is super sweet and smooth, ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, probably stainless steel. It literally feels perfect... gave me complete confidence.

If going the custom route, I'd probably get a standard shape body with top routing/pickguard, H/S/S with 5 way switch and a split for the HB. I'd want vintage sounding rather than modern sounding single coils and a relatively mild bridge HB. I'd probably get a forced on/off switch for the bridge pickup as well both so I could do the neck+bridge sound and for the machine gun/kill sound. I'd prefer a hardtail, but certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker. Also, I'd probably go for a transparant black or blackburst.

Honestly, I've played a lot of really nice guitars and between $1,000 and $3,000, you go from great used guitars to great guitars built for you. You can save 50% or more if you are willing to budge on things like the color. You can buy a LOT of pickups and quite a bit of custom wiring for $2,000.

• Members
we want pics and sounclips

I'll try to put a pic or two soon, but soundclips will have to wait until I figure out to do it from my MP3 player. BTW, I also put a 300K CTS in for vol, std 250K for tone (w/ a no bleed wiring trick) & 250K blender in pos 3. I like this set-up a lot. As much as I like this guitar - and it's the best (for me) Strat I've played in a while, it's very hard for me to play anything other than my monster tone 72 Thinline w/ the original cunife buckers. That's why I'm building the 72 Custom from orig parts) - so I can get THAT sound and have single coil twang on tap too. But this neck is waaay faster than my chunky T-Line neck, so it will get played when I have to rip... :-)

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

I know it's a hard question to answer quickly. I Don't mind spending $2 or 3K if it's well worth it, but I was curious if there was one that would stand out above the rest?

I would really like to keep it under 2k if I could, it seems very possible.

With that kind of cash on hand you really should play a couple of Eric Johnson strats. They are great guitars.

• Members

Here's what I've done.'57 strats are my thing,so...CIJ '57 body and neck,they really are as good as US made stuff,easily on a par with my American '57 vintage strat and the neck is probably better.

All the rest of the hardware is US Fender vintage stuff.Pickups are Fat 50's.Cost....well under

• Members

Originally posted by deva_da_man

The perfect strat:

1)

1 piece alder body in 2tone sunburst nitro

1 piece maple neck with vintage frets 7.5" radius

3 single coils without RWRP middle pup

standard 5 way switch

single ply white pickguard 8 hole

white pickup covers

slotted tuners

or

2)

1 piece alder body in royal blue nitro

Maple neck with ebony board jumob frets, compound 12 - 16" radius

2 Humbuckers - black

three way blade switch

black single ply pickguard 8 hole

slotted tuners

that's just me....

personally i'm a big fan of the 57RI strats. give them a try.

See...thats the thing about strats. "Perfect" can be different for everyone, depending on your taste, even within the same style. For example, my perfect strat:

1 piece alder body

3 tone sunburst

12" radius, maple neck, medium frets

6 screw vintage trem OR Wilkenson. Not blocked, but with tremsetter.

3 ply WBW pickguard

Rio grand calibrated pickups. white covers RWRP middle pickup

Roller nut

Sperzel tuners.

Very similar to Deva's #1 perfect strat....but also very different.

• Members

If you have't played Strats try going to a Fender dealer (with different models, not the same model in different colors), play a ton of the and make notes on what you liked about each one. With all the choices Fender offers, it probably the best way to see what you really want.

Archived