Help me build/buy the perfect strat

SE1081

• Members

Originally posted by JC777

If you have't played Strats try going to a Fender dealer (with different models, not the same model in different colors), play a ton of the and make notes on what you liked about each one. With all the choices Fender offers, it probably the best way to see what you really want.

that's great advice right there, especially as it pertains to neck shapes, finishes, fretboard woods, and pickups...

• Members

Originally posted by SE1081

I'm planning on getting a strat very soon. I have enought buckers and I want a strat that will cover SRV-Eric Johnson-Clapton and even yngwie. my main question is what's the best pickup combo to get for that good ole' strat sound?

I'm mainly looking for a single coil based guitar, but if there's something I should know about, let me know. I'm not looking for a hard rock or metal sound, mainly blues, jazz and old rock.

As always, thanks for your time!

I just bought a natural Ash strat w/ maple neck, off ebay for $650. It was like new and has all new black trim. It is a '98 or '97 with std american pups. I was planning to get the new noiseless ones but after hearing it thru my '65 Deluxe Reissue. I never heard such a clean stat tone. The amp you use, will make or break your tone, and Fender is not out of business with it's std. pup line. We have a tendecy to think aftermarket is ALLWAYS better.

I had a Hot Rod Deluxe and traded it in for another DR. Again match up the guitar to the amp.

• Members
  • Members
  • Members

With your budget, anything is in reach, really. An EJ is probably the best non-custom shop Strat. You also can get some great custom shop, Anderson or Suhr in that price range.

I have 2 Warmoth parts guitars, and am very fond of them. By building it, you get it spec'd exactly as you want it. But beware, as resale value is extremely poor. They are definitely worth it! But if you had the need to move it, you would take a bath.

• Members

Originally posted by JustinThyme

With your budget, anything is in reach, really. An EJ is probably the best non-custom shop Strat. You also can get some great custom shop, Anderson or Suhr in that price range.

I have 2 Warmoth parts guitars, and am very fond of them. By building it, you get it spec'd exactly as you want it. But beware, as resale value is extremely poor. They are definitely worth it! But if you had the need to move it, you would take a bath.

yeah, I was telling my dad that today...funny!

Even with custom shop guitars you take a hard blow on resale.

I'm planning on building a vintage white with a AAA flame maple neck (abalone Inlays), larger frets, and a bone nut. I haven't decided on a trem yet or pickups yet.

• Members
Originally posted by SE1081

yeah, I was telling my dad that today...funny!

Even with custom shop guitars you take a hard blow on resale.

I'm planning on building a vintage white with a AAA flame maple neck (abalone Inlays), larger frets, and a bone nut. I haven't decided on a trem yet or pickups yet.

who cares about resale:thu:

Archived