Whatever Happened to the NS10's?

• Members

I've been away for a while; can you tell? But, seriously, did Yamaha discontinue the line, or do they have a new model that is supposedly the 'same' thing? Or should I start looking in classifieds for the old NS10s? Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that the material used for the NS10 speaker cone has gone out of production so they stopped making them. Either that or i just dreamt it... that would be an odd dream though wouldn't it?

I believe I heard something similar - they were discontinued due to availability issues of the wood pulp used in the woofers. If I recall correctly, that was somewhere around 2001. I think Yamaha tried finding substitutes for the original wood pulp, but they were never satisfied with the alternatives. They've made other models since then that are designed to sit in that same niche, but nothing that has had quite the same amount of industry-wide acceptance that the NS10 once enjoyed.

• Members

They never actually sounded "good." They were in really widespread use. They had no bass and hardly any high end; so, you'd crank the bass on the mix, goose the high end, and when the Yamahas sounded okay, you were "there." It wasn't as simple as all that, but that isn't too far off how it was. I've heard what happens when guys mix down on Westlakes ... you end up with lots of high mids and and a piece of cardboard where the kick drum used to be. And the bass would push notes, but no air. That wouldn't happen with the NS10s; but they weren't exactly great as far as speaker systems go.

Archived