So I'm kicking around the idea of getting a baritone guitar...

• Members

I plan on using it for heavy rock stuff, so I've been thinking about maybe buying the Ibanez Mike Mushok signature. It seems to get really good reviews on HC, and it doesn't have his name plastered all over the damn thing, which is bonus.

Schecter has at least one baritone model as well...

Any other suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I plan on using it for heavy rock stuff, so I've been thinking about maybe buying the Ibanez Mike Mushok signature. It seems to get really good reviews on HC, and it doesn't have his name plastered all over the damn thing, which is bonus.

Schecter has at least one baritone model as well...

Any other suggestions?

I own a baritone and picked up a 7-string yesterday. I'm getting rid of the baritone - I love the 7-string. Something to consider.

• Members

Originally posted by DonP

What is it that people don't like about baritones? I have smaller hands - a 7 string is too wide.

Most people don't have the need for a baritone, particularly if they have a bass or a bass player.

• Members

That is such bollocks. The two instruments are designed for two totally different things.

You obviously haven't heard a raging baritone with full-throttle distortion on...just a massive wall of CLEARLY DEFINED sound...way different than a bass.

• Members

IMO Baritones are better suited to bass players who want to expand to guitar, and 7 string guitars are better suited for experienced 6 string players looking for lower range. Of course thats just the way I feel; plenty of guitarists rock out on their baritones.

• Members

I have a number of guitars/basses and a baritone guitar and have been a gigging bassist for years. Baritones have nothing to do with playing bass and everything to do with playing guitar. I'd have to agree with Jacek, this talk of basses/bass players makes no sense.... but then it is a guitar forum ;)

starsnuffer: KILLER!

• Members

Originally posted by Jacek

That is such bollocks. The two instruments are designed for two totally different things.

You obviously haven't heard a raging baritone with full-throttle distortion on...just a massive wall of CLEARLY DEFINED sound...way different than a bass.

You are making an unfounded assumption here, particularly since I do have a baritone guitar, even posted a photo of it, and a seven-string. I could just as well make an unfounded assumption about your post and claim you obviously have never heard a baritone guitar played through a nice clean amp. I personally would never buy a guitar that only sounded good with full-throttle distortion but it must have an excellent tone without distorion.

I was not stating that I did not like baritone guitars, just responding to the post above mine asking what people disliked about baritones and named a few reasons that I thought could be possible explainations. See I can make bad assumption too. :)

Sorry if I offended you. I do like the sound of baritones whether distorted for metal or clean for jazz.

• Members

I would buy a 7-string, but I like the idea of a 6 string guitar that's tuned down 4 steps without the strings going flubby, or without having to modify my fingering to play certain chords all across the strings (first position B-major chord is kinda tricky on a 7-string, I imagine). I also like the fact that it's more unique than a seven string IMHO...

I got to play a baritone acoustic a while back. Just being able to finger a first position B-major chord the same way as an E-major on a regular guitar... and strumming... wow... {censored}ing awesome... :love:

• Members

For hard rock/metal, you can get away with just detuning with heavier strings, IMHO. I have a bari (the red Esquire in the pic), but its for more clean toned stuff - surf, rockabilly, and singer songwriter textures.

I play metal most of the time, and anything below A just gets goofy - B or C are the "standard" metal tunings, and I do drop C with 10-52s on a 25 inch scale just fine.

I love my bari for what it does, tho. Through that Twin, it is the Hammer of a Really Pissed Off God.

P1010002.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived