fret buzz frequency

• Members

It depends on the bass and the setup. Typically I find it's at its most obnoxious around 3-4k. But the thing is, fret buzz is enharmonic - it's not like an overly flubby bass where you can home in on certain harmonics and reduce their volume. Fret buzz is unrelated to the musical note and happens over a wide range of frequencies, so it'll be hard to get rid of without also affecting the tone of the bass.

You're in a compromise position now where you might not be able to get the exact tone you want, so I'd get experimenting with the EQ - try a warm sound lacking in brightness, and maybe try to clear space in the mids at 6-700hZ because you can get some growl there rather than relying on the higher frequencies for definition.

• Members

I agree it can be anywheres from 1.5K up depending on the typr of bass being used.

I'd use a parametric EQ and create a notch then scroll the frequencies till you find where its most prominant.

Thern dip the notch and widen it as needed to get the best tone you can.

Personally I just retarck the part. How long can it take, 5~10 minuites.

I find if the bass sucks in a mix, the mix sucks. having chopped frequencies has more harm then good

cause you'll have note dropouts and a lack of balls at the frequencies you notch.

If the frets on the bass are bad, fix it. If the player cant hold notes down and pick the notes right

get someone who can. Bass should sound clean. The exception is playing slap bass.

Craig Anderton wrote an article recently about fret buzzes and noises that was in one of the Musician's Friend catalogs - either the most recent one or the one right before that. There's an online version of it up right here. It lacks the graphics of the catalog version, which is unfortunate, and it primarily focuses on nylon string guitar, but it can be applicable to steel string -- and maybe even bass too. It seems like it could potentially be of use to you, so give it a look and see if it helps. :)

Archived