Just got a Gibson LP Studio - AWESOME

cc999

• Members

Originally posted by cc999

I want to restring the guitar, any suggestions on brand and gauge? Playing mostly rock ala Green Day Skynard etc...

Charlie

Whatever you prefer, you can play Green Day with 9, 10's, 11's etc. There should be 9's on it from the factory. If it feels too slinky to you then try 10's. Moving to 10's probably won't call for much of a set up, but if you move to 11's then you'll need the nut cut for the thicker strings & adjustments to the the truss rod etc.

• Members

I bought this 98 Studio for $600.

It has some war wounds, but nothing that impacts sound or playability, just some dings.

I've set it up and it's ready for a few tunes (two nighter this weekend).

It plays amazingly well and the tone is good. I did a little work on the nut last night to try and maximize tuning stability (I'm used to Floyd Roses).

Still, for $600. it's every inch a Les Paul.

S3000513.jpg

• Members

Jammer,

Beautiful! What year is that one? Does it have the Ebony fretboard?

This question for everyone:

What do you suggest as the best stings for a restring for the LP Studio? Brand and gauge. (playing mostly rock)

Thanks

Charlie

Mines a '02 with ebony fretboard. I installed new CTS volume and tone pots and Schaller strap locks.

I use D'Addario 09-46 strings.

• Members

Have they started making the Studios with the correct body thickness?

I played a '96 Studio the other day that was about 1/4" - 1/2" thinner than an LP Standard, but I've also played some Studios that were about the same as a Standard.

Anyone know the details on this? The '96 in question just didn't feel like a real LP, and I've noticed this with all of the thinner Studio models I've played. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

There was a time when the backs of standards were 1 or 2 piece and the studio could be 3 or 4 piece. Now AFAIK standards are commonly 3 piece, like studios. Also the standards are available with a number of specific neck profiles, while the studio you just get whatever profile they've decided on.

Now, see that's interesting too... I have a Dec '99 Std, and it is definitely a one-piece back. But my Custom is two-piece. I wonder if there is any real rule, or if it's just whatever is available?

• Members

Congrats!! There's nothing quite like a Gibson Les Paul.
Contrary to most posts on this forum, it is an excellent guitar when you get a good one. If you have that, a Strat, and a Tele, your'e set electric guitarwise.
Also GREAT DEAL ON THE PRICE DUDE!!! Heres the green headed monster of jealousy: :D
I have two Les Paul Gibsons and still feel a tinge of jealousy whenever someone else gets one!!

• Members

Congrats!! There's nothing quite like a Gibson Les Paul.
Contrary to most posts on this forum, it is an excellent guitar when you get a good one. If you have that, a Strat, and a Tele, your'e set electric guitarwise.
Also GREAT DEAL ON THE PRICE DUDE!!! Heres the green headed monster of jealousy: :D
I have two Les Paul Gibsons and still feel a tinge of jealousy whenever someone else gets one!!

• Members

Des,

Thats my gitar exactly! Nice with the pick guard off! What year is that one? How do you like the ebony fretboard?

For some reason when I try to get a pic in this area I cannot. How do you do that?

What strings do you have on that Alpine White one?

Charlie

• Members

another pic....

Just noticed that it has the DELUXE Gibson head tuners unlike the other LP Studios? That and the Ebony fretboard I guess make it a limited edition?

Charlie

all alpine classic les paul studios have ebony fretboards.

• Members

I want to restring the guitar, any suggestions on brand and gauge? Playing mostly rock ala Green Day Skynard etc...

Charlie

They ship with Gibson Brite Wire .010's. You could move down to .009's which is what most (but not all) Strat's come with.

I was hoping to hear you say it wasn't that heavy; mine arrives Monday, and I'm hoping it won't be a boat anchor like the other two LP's I've owned.

• Members

I got my Les Paul Studio for 100 bucks

It's a 1992 Studio Lite that fell off a pawn shop wall and the headstock snapped off as they tend to do. The pawn shop guy was happy to unload it because he figured it was unfixable. Anyway a night of clamping with epoxy made it good as new. Since it was already violated I figured customizing it was in order. The pickups were muddy to me so I bought some Kent Armstrong P-90s for it. Bigsby with a roller nut and bridge and locking Klusen look-alike tuners. The Bigsby doesn't weigh it down as much as usual because the guitar is filled with balsa.

bigsby

Archived