Jazz Quartet Recording. Sax, Upright Bass, Piano, Drums

• Members

these are live in studio performances, the intent was to capture the musicians at their best moments (during the session), they blend and balance the sounds themselves (headphones mostly to support volume of the upright bass). Recorded at 96k with lotsa mics, the mixes however are just one mic per instrument.

first song is really mellow

[video=youtube;K8zJ1FIPqHY]

2nd song is kinda full on

[video=youtube;tzjF09LMVTs]

please do give a listen and let me know your thoughts.

Enjoy!

- Gerry

• Members

I'm only listening to it on my Macbook Pro speakers.. Sounds nice.. The sax sounds a little too upfront for me though. The rest sounds a little room mic like you're just monitoring from an omni mic in the middle of the room for everything other than the sax..

Regards. Rimmer

• Members

Hi Phil,

The drums was present on almost all the mics, very controlled bleed.

The drum sound is mostly from one mic placed in front of the kit, around 3 feet away from snare, about 4 feet high, angled towards the snare. The chosen mic was an AEA r92.

But the drumkit sound was blended with very small amount of Peluso r14 pair (placed as an overhead). With that info, my comment of 1 mic per instrument is not accurate, I apologize for that.

There is one room mic in the midst of the group.

• Moderators

I really like this. I agree the sax is a tad too out front. But this whole thing is just crying out for a great sounding chamber. I really think you've got that old 50's early 60's vibe going with the room sound. The only big difference is that chamber.

I'd spend a day experimenting with applying different IRs or even the real deal if it exists in your neck of the woods. Then try different things, like chamber only on the center room mike. Or chamber on everything. Tape delay before chamber? How about moving the room mike back in time to simulate a little bigger space? Then send that to a chamber. Just play with ambiance techniques to get it softened and opened up and sounding a bit more wet without sounding gimmicky.

What really makes records like Kind of Blue or the Keepnews/Bill Evans stuff so great sounding was the bleed combining with chamber. It created this complex cross matix of ambiance. It doesn't have to be alot or busy, but it needs to be complex and right.

No plates or alg halls or rooms. Chamber or room IRs or the real deal!

• Members

I'd spend a day experimenting with applying different IRs or even the real deal if it exists in your neck of the woods. Then try different things, like chamber only on the center room mike. Or chamber on everything. Tape delay before chamber? How about moving the room mike back in time to simulate a little bigger space? Then send
that
to a chamber. Just play with ambiance techniques to get it softened and opened up and sounding a bit more wet without sounding gimmicky.

I'm with this all the way... !

Archived