80s Ibanez Info

cratz2

• Members

Thinking about trading into an 80s Ibanez strat type guitar. Two covered HB pickups, heritage cherry-ish sunburst on birds eye maple. Not perfect condtion, but not bad. Only think I'm not sure on is the trem. Seems decent enough, but I'm not 100% sure on it. For one thing, it seems like it would be a bitch and a half to restring. It has the sorta put in and under, then back around and towards the nut. Also, the action isn't quite as low as I'd like it (and I don't usually require an ultra low action). Also has gold hardware which I'm not too keen on, but it's worn through in a sorta vintage way so it's OK.

Any other major things to look out for on these guitar? I always wanted one when they came out. Sort of the slightly arched top and sans the normal arm scuplt. Mid 80s is my guess.

• Members

I like Roadstars as much as the next good-deal loving guy, but I owned one (must have be the bottom of the line model), the body of which (I found-out while doing some mods) was a very plain-grained wood with pieces of genuine wood grain formica glued to the top and back.

The edges of the (brown) guitar, where the margin between the formica and the real body would have shown, were sprayed black to produce a "burst" finish.

• Members

That's too weird... I thought of you when I saw the guitar in the local shop, then found those pics on ebay just to post here for an example, then you win it... all in about two hours.

:freak:

I think I've decided to trade into it tomorrow. :thu:

Mostly just so I'll get mine before you get yours.

• Members
Originally posted by stingxnj

That's the Power Rocker Trem. That came standard on the IIs unless you wanted the locking trem.

Maybe it's hard to tell from your black guitar... but is yours exactly like the gold one in the pic (of dimmy's new guitar :D ) that I linked right above your post?

• Members

Originally posted by lespauldouble

The roadstar was a decent guitar. They can be had very easily at most pawn shops for 200-300

Well, I traded into mine with a guitar I traded into and didn't have any interest in. I'm sure they can be found cheap in pawn shops when you see them, but it's been a few years since I last saw one in a pawn shop.

Last three or four that were in really nice condition in guitar shops, they were at or over $400.

• Members
Originally posted by stanfield

get some pictures on the go.

they're basswood guitars, except for the rs100's which were ash.

i've got a 335 and really like it.

my 335 is one of the 5 best sounding guitars Ive ever played.I am quite amazed:thu: that funky lookin neck single coil really sounds great!

is this top Basswood???:confused:

guitars007_edited.jpg

• Members

Man, that 335 is EXACTLY the one I used to drool over! I loved that dark natural finish. My dad was a high end wood worker and I guess I always appreciated nice woods and the darker finishes and most of what you see with natural finishes are the lighter colored woods.

So... you have the EXACT guitar I used to want so much and you have exact same guitar in the exact same finish as my first ever Ibanez Roadstar?

What are those freaking odds? :freak::eek:

Archived