Podxt through what amp?

burton4snow

• Members

I have used my PodXT in front of a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a Victoria Double Deluxe with great success.

However, in that context I mostly use it for FX (delay, reverb, chorus, OD stomp box), rather than amp modelling (I'm happy with the sound of my amp ;)). Having said that, I recently found a couple of amp models that sound superb through the Victoria with the Pod's cabinet modelling turned off.

If you're serious about using the breadth of amp modelling available in the PodXT, you'll want to look at one of those 'colourless' combos that are designed specifically for amplifying modellers. I wish I could remember their names, so I could recommend them to you! Keyboard amp is a good suggestion too.

It's true that most guitar amps will heavily colour the Pod's tone, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

• Members

supposedly anything clean is best. They have a special amp for it called an atomic reactor, or atomic amp (not made by line 6)

there is also a pod buffer, that red iron amps sells ? Forget the name go to www.instituteofnoise.com and they have links for it.

it basically runs the signal through a couple tubes and warms it up.

I, personally dont like to run it through an amp. The amps tend to color it a bit, and it makes the accoustic patches sound like ass (if you are doing a variax or piezo through it). I run it through the PA, straight and it works fine for what it is.

• Members

I run my pro XT through a Vox ac15. I bypass the amp modelor and use just the fx about 35-40% of the time, and the rest of the time I'm using lots of fx and higher gain amp models. I figure that the more extreme amp models aren't as succeptible to mis-colouration as the cleans.

The main benift of my rig is that I can have a unique tone from my amp, which means that even though I may use 10-12 patches in a 4 song set, they all sound like me.

I am thinking about using a different amp, though. Some reasons:

The vox weighs 24,465,897.29 lbs.

I'd like to have the option to go stereo, and I don't want to carry two heavy amps around.

Even though the Vox sounds better than the "class A" model, and better than any of the clean models, it does color the pod's sound. Because of that, I find that the only amp models I use are the heveier ones, which means I'm not getting my money's worth out of the pod. I guess I can sum all that up by saying that I feel the Vox makes all the clean models sound the same: like a Vox.

• Members

I've been doing alot of experimenting with running my xt live into the effect return of my tech 21 trademark 60, and sometimes running the cabinet out to a 1x12 cab with a tone tubby alinco. (A couple of different variables to mess with and get used to).

I've found very good sounds just utilizing the stomp box distortions, but I'm also getting some good sounds with the amp models, but turning the cabinet simulations off on the models. With the cab sim on it's just a little to dark, distant, flat, or something like that. Shutting them off seems to bring the tone forward alot. Messing with the output section can help too.

Currently I'm looking for a simple power source for the cab. Unfortunately the tone tubby is only 30 watts, so it's taking some looking.

Archived