Guitar Private Practice

Andreas123

• Members

Hello,

I tried to practice using headphones but I found some problems I would like to share and hear some solutions.

First of all I hated the sound quality to the point of not even bothering playing. The sound was too harsh and it was really missing the "oomph" of the amplifier.

Of course I was using relativly cheap headphones so in essence Im asking people that use high end expencive headphones if that solves the problem....(of cource im reasonable, i dont expect the headphone to give the output of a good amp)

Also as an additional note I use a VAMP 2 simulation pedal to process my guitar signal.

Second problem that has an obvious solution is the wire got dangled in my hands so im thinking of getting wireless headphones...so again im asking people that use wireless headphones...are they good enough for their money?

After doing some research on headphones I seem to be more confused instead of clear minded...they range from

• Members

I recommend: Behringer headphones, the most expensive model you can get from your local store or Internet source. (They make about 3 models.) They range in price from $15 to about $50.

NOTES for headphones:
* use wired, and just get used to using them. Wireless are too tricky, for too little benefit.
* the SOURCE of the signal is critical. Make sure you are plugging in to a source designed for headphone use. Specifically, make sure the source is not overdriven, but provides enough signal level. Do not use a source not specifically designed to power headphones.
* Get large enclose-the-ear headphones that have closed-back design.

• Members

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-hpx-4000/69210

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-hps-5000/69208

Thanks guitarNed for the reply,

This are the most expencive I could find from this site...is that the ones?

Behringer is a brand that you dont pay extra for the name (if you get my point) and I hope that the case here as well.

• Members

Now that I remembered.....Can anyone explain what exactly are the specs for each headphone?...

I mean the frequency range responce is prety much easy to understand but how can you differenciate between something good and something bad just from the specs? (not just the prize)

• Members

I use a wired set of headphones with a single wire (which then snakes over the head to the other cup). That lets me run the cord easily over my shoulder and down my back. Then all I have to worry about is stepping on the cord. As for headphone quality, I can't say too much, other than that you do need decent ones.

• Members

I use a Sennheiser HD202's. They were inexpensive, less than $30 but seem to work well. I use a Guitar Port with my computer and the tone sounds better through these headphones than it would with my computer speakers. Also, this model has a long cord which also helps.

• Members

It's kinda funny with headphone amps, sometimes a real good pair of cans isn't necessarily a good thing. You're trying to emulate a guitar amp which is really not a hi fidelity amp, lo fi I'd call it. So sometimes a real good set of headphones won't really give you what you're looking for.

Having said all that, I've often used my Sony 7506 cans with my V-Amp II. I really like the sound I get from it however, it does require me to adjust my technique a bit. Playing through cans is very much like having your amp mic'd onstage. You pretty much have to execute perfectly because any slop will be impossible to cover up. I find that once I get my chops suited to the rig the sound is very good.

• Members
Originally posted by Andreas123

Now that I remembered.....Can anyone explain what exactly are the specs for each headphone?...

I mean the frequency range responce is prety much easy to understand but how can you differenciate between something good and something bad just from the specs? (not just the prize)

I'm glad you're happy with your headphones, I use Grado Sr-60s myself and they rock...

However to answer your question, headphones are like all Hi-fi items, specifications really mean almost nothing. You have to judge it yourself :) Sometimes items that measure well actually sound worse than supposedly "better" things.

That's the joy of it!!!

• Members

As far as i am concerend the hot ticket for home guitar playing is a set of headphones and a digital recorder. In reality if your goal is to practice at home and get the most out of it ,,,, the recorder is all the amp you need. Nothing improves your playing like being able to play it back. You have a built in drum beat to get you up to speed with playing with a drummer. almost unlimited guitar and vocal effects .... you can load up a CD and jam with it .. make your own backtracks. Pick up a bass and learn to play it .. plug in a keyboard ... they are the most powerful piece of musical gear you can buy. An amp is the last thing in the world you need. The best part is you can jam your brains out and not disturb the rest of the house. rat

• Members

Originally posted by Andreas123

Second problem that has an obvious solution is the wire got dangled in my hands

yes that's an annoying problem

Tip I came up with:

Either an inexpensive coiled headphone extension cable wrapped around your guitar cable and secured at the end around your strap or strap button. Wrap the actual headphone cable over your back and then plug it into extension and secure it to your strap with paper clips, then you've got one cable not two and more mobility and less obstruction.

Might not solve your problem but hope it helps someone someday.

• Members

I personally only play with headphones because my neighbor is a big cop. Plus I suck. Not a great combination.

But for choosing headphones I would go with something that is sensitive as my most important quality, even over frequency response in most cases. The reason being that an expensive set of cans is going to probably need a headphone amp to drive them properly. Not necessarily something that I want to invest in or even deal with.

Second most important quality I look for is a flat response. I don't want any coloration; accurate reproduction is important to me. I like a good set of studio monitor headphones and I use the Sennheiser HD-25-1's. I got a great deal on them for $150 about 3 years ago and they are still like new and get used almost daily. Most places sell them for about $200-250 range, but the HD-25SP's are pretty close and less than half that.

I did a side by side comparison with some cans from work, each in the multi-hundred range and these sounded the best without an external amp. I can plug them into anything and they will make your ears ring before they even get close to breaking up.

After about 10 pairs of $20-50 cans over the previous few years it was one of the best investments I have ever made. If something happened to them I would be ordering a new set that day.

Archived