Guitar New Years Resolutions

lburger

• Members

Guitar New Years Resolutions

- Understand more about music theory (which will help with the next goal)

- Learn to play some mean rockabilly/Setzer

- Get a new guitar that will inspire me to play rockabilly/Setzer (I've been lookin!)

- Get proficient at fingerpicking (see 2 previous goals)

- Do a reasonable sweep pick

- REALLY understand arpeggios

Next year at this time I could either put in some time and have these talents or still be wishing I could do these things.

We will see. This forum will certainly be a big help in getting a few of these done...

Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays to you all. I hope the new year brings you good health and great happiness.

• Members

General:

-Go to the gym more.

-Don't waste away the rest of senior year, even though it's irrelevant because you're in college.

-Play more video games (you read that right, i only play an abysmal 1-2 hrs per week, i need to be putting in a good 10 hrs a week to play some of these games. Hell, i haven't even put Twilight Princess into the wii yet!)

Guitar:

-Learn more about those "funky" scales and their modes

-Make the sweep arpeggio come out perfectly every time

-Learn more sweep patterns and how to apply them

-Stop playing minor pentatonic box solos

-Stop buying gear. Although, now that i think about it, i could use a semi...

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

Buy more stuff, just better quality......must avoid eBay
:mad:

lol I buy quality stuff, but sometimes gas gets the best of me and I get stuff I dont really need instead of getting stuff I do need. IE buying yet more and more electric guitars when what I really need is a nice high end acoustic.:(

• Members

-Get out of my musical rut and expand on new tones. I've been playing with the same sound for months now.

-Learn how to do a fret job and get the rest of the tools to do it right.

-Setup all of my guitars, not just the ones that I like to play the most.

-Possibly buy an amp (looking at a valve jumior head); first one in over 12 years. I've been playing with headphones on my PC for 10 years now and using a 4 track before that and I need to get some practice playing in front of others. That has been my biggest phobia for ever.

-Start jamming with my friends.

-Buy no more guitars or gear until I get better with what I have.

• Members

Originally posted by ashasha

-Start jamming with my friends.

DO IT! Trust me, you aren't really enjoying your guitar like you could until you do this. (I missed out for years too) Find a little studio you can rent for a few hours, one that has amps and drums.

• Members

Originally posted by lburger

DO IT! Trust me, you aren't really enjoying your guitar like you could until you do this. (I missed out for years too) Find a little studio you can rent for a few hours, one that has amps and drums.

Agreed. And you will learn so much and not even know it. It's one of the most enjoyable things you can do!

Archived