Need El cheapo desktop

LiveMusic

• Members

A friend wants to get into computing. Place online orders with her company. Send email. Basic stuff, nothing fancy. Dell has...

Dimension 3000

About $500

Pentium P4 2.8 GhZ

256MB RAM

40GB HD

CDRW

WinXP

Printer

17" monitor

No floppy

Any recommendations for something lower cost than that?

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

If she can, double the RAM. I got my wife a Dell laptop with 256 and it was a pain. Once I got the other stick for 512 it was fine. XP is VERY slow with 256.

Lee, I am running XP Pro on a Dell Inspirion 7500 with 256MB RAM and speed is fine. I dunno if the difference is PRo versus Home version. What do you think?

You may have too much garbage in your startup?

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

If she can, double the RAM. I got my wife a Dell laptop with 256 and it was a pain. Once I got the other stick for 512 it was fine. XP is VERY slow with 256.

Lee's on the nose.

Dell ought to do the right thing and not sell those things with 256 MB. Yeah, you can run Windows XP in 256, if you trim it down. I actually seldom get above that when I'm not using BFD -- but I'm pretty aggressive about keeping my laptop lean and mean.

But if my laptop had had all the crapware installed on it (that it did) and had only had 256 MB... I doubt the crapware would have had room to turn around sideways, let alone apps...

[Remember the Compaq machines from 4 or 5 years ago that you could boot up but that would crash within an hour or two just sitting there, because of all the garbage software loaded on them? They just sat there bleeding memory until they locked up with a blue screen.]

• Members

Funny. I've used XP Pro with MS Office Pro on systems with only 256 and it's fine. Still, 512 is the preffered amount to run with XP, 1GB minumum for DAW's. Dell used to ship budget XP systems with only 128 MB. Now *that* is painful! If you do want more RAM then you're better off not getting it from Dell. They'll charge twice as much as you could find elsewhere.

Archived