Has anyone played a guitar with a flat fingerboard?

Clypher

• Members

I'm tempted to order one on my Gutierrez if and when that happens. I know there aren't many guitars out there that come with them... Shawn Lane's Vigier does. But I've noticed that the flatter the board the more I like it, so I figured I'd cut right to the chase and just go completely flat.

• Members

I've never knowingly played one. I've owned several guitars with a 16" radius and they feel pretty darn flat. I also played many Valley Arts guitars back at a show in Dallas at which point, I had a 16" radius guitar as my main guitar and one particular Valley Arts felt flatter than mine.

• Members

yeah, i've played on a custom instrument with a dead flat fretboard before while my lp was in the shop...my instructor let me borrow it

i really liked it, very good for bending...and i'm someone who likes 7 1/2" radius fenders too, so it's not a particular preference thing

i liked it so much that i went to a comound radius board on my next partscaster to get a flatter radius for leads...if i were having a custom guitar built, i'd have a flat fretboard

• Members

Originally posted by lintuxvi

I never understood the whole "flat radius is harder for chording." Someone else mentioned this before, but what do you think most classical guitarists are doing most of the time?

not sliding barre chords up and down the neck

• Members

My Travis bean has a flat non cambered board.

I've never had any problems at all..chords, bends whatever.

In fact my pet hate is choking out on big bends, so it just means if I'm playing a vintage radius neck, I have to have the action up.

But as to practical advantages I dont know..I dont generally have much of a problem switching between guitars, and the Bean is certainly no harder to play than anything else.

Archived