Anti-Virus Software

Base

• Members

No doubt this is discussed to death, but these things need updating so frequently, I figured I'd get a fresh set of opinions. My home PC is running at the speed of a diseased snail, I don't know if it is because of a virus, but I have had a couple hit me lately. I'm currently running AVG's free anti-virus software, but it's a bit pants so it's time for me to bite the bullet and fork out for something a bit better. I've looked at a few review sites, but what is everyone here using??

I used to use Norton, but I upgraded to the latest version a year ago and it caused more problems than any virus I've ever had and the scum wouldn't refund me. I refuse to pay to speak to a helpline when it should have worked in the first place, so that one is out.... :mad:

I have been looking at McAffee, but I am not sure how compatible it is with Firefox, waiting for a reply from their technical support people.

Anymore recommendations would be greatly appreciated..... :)

• Members

Slow as a diseased snail? Slow on the intarweb, or just slow all around?

Wouldn't be any malware on the machine instead of viruses, etc, would there?

I feel silly asking you this bc i always thought we worked in similar fields...

Ditto on Symantec. That whole corporation, software suite and concept just creeps me out. It's the most successful bit of malware i've ever seen. (Wanna see your computer run REALLY slow?? :D)

Unfortunately though, i can't make any AV suggestions... never run any myself, just worked on computers with it on them. ...

Base sez---->"I'm currently running AVG's free anti-virus software, but it's a bit pants"

pants-comfy-construct.jpg

philconfused.gif

• Members

Yeah, I do work in IT, but I can't figure out what is running it so slowly, I've scanned for viruses, adware, etc but nothing. But that could be AVG being pants. I've checked processes but nothing in particular seems to be hogging the processor, and in my girlfriends profile everything runs fine?!?!

BTW, pants over here are your underwear, but we also use it for slang for something that is a bit crap :D

• Members

Pants are underwear and in the u.k. people crap themselves?

j/k

So it's XP, and another login on the machine works okeydokey?

hmm...

Is the processor pegged at 99% the whole time you're logged in, and/or does the taskmanager show any creepy looking programs running?

Didja go into System, Advanced options, and untick "Slow everything down like pants and take the piss outta me till i feel like getting pissed"?

• Members

Have ya gone into msconfig and unchecked everything in Startup, and just about everything in the "Services" section? Hide all the Microsoft Services in that panel and uncheck everything else.

Restart, and see if that does anything for you.

Usually Task Manager will tell you which program is using 99% of the cpu, though you may have to click the lil bar above that field to make it come to the top and stay.

I've got an old Royal manual typewriter from the 1950s i can ship you, but i don't know if you can type British on it. Also, it's got a really slow modem. You have to fold up the packets yourself and it costs money to send them one at a time in those metal blue internet boxes like UUCP, and it can take days to get delivered, and weeks to get a response.

• Members

There was a period a year or two ago when Norton REALLY screwed up. They put out an update that made each computer running Norton AntiVirus report to Norton every time it scanned a file. This resulted in flooding the address they set up for this. PC's were having to wait for a responce from Semantic and that was bogging down the process. When we first called about this it was evidant that the process was not working as expected. We uninstalled the updates and then waited a month for them to clean up the mess. Once they did, things were fine.

But personally I will not put Norton or any other virus protection on my music computers. It slows things down to much. You can get a decent new computer for $400 so it makes sense to have a dedicated internet computer.

Robert

• Members
Originally posted by Dylan Walters

What exactly don't you like about AVG? I've had great results with it. Much better than Norton, that's for sure. Also, I'd check out the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 app. It's better than Adaware and Spybot!

Not for me, adaware detects items that microsoft antispyware totally misses.

• Members

AVG is the best of the free ones available, overall. Avast is decent, behind AVG and Bit Commander, and Bit Commander is the best rated virus protection available in it's paid version. The free one works great except it does't scan email coming in or out like AVG. I've been using AVG for a couple of years now with no problems and it keeps getting better all the time.

Base, did you do the upgrades on your AVG? They've had a couple of re-install requirements in the last six to eight months and I get updates nearly every day for the newest parameters.

When is the last time you de-fragged the drives?

OOPS! That should have been Bit Defender, not Commander.:o

• Members

I've been keeping it up-to-date, and defragged the drives a few weeks ago. It seemed to be running better last night after pc-cillin found the viruses, but I wasn't really putting it through it's paces.

I've seen a few comparisons now with a few different ones coming out on top, the paid version of AVG did come out well, but so did pc-cillin. Since it found stuff that AVG let through, I'm going to keep it for the trial period, may try another after that tho...

• Members

Originally posted by KovachianOne

Not for me, adaware detects items that microsoft antispyware totally misses.

Just to clarify a bit, AdAware is not, and is not intended to be, an antivirus program. It seeks & destroys spyware only. You need that, but you also need an antivirus program if you want your computer to be safe.

Archived