Could my Masterlink be any slower?

• Members

These things are happening around me as I type:

My HP LaserJet is laser-jetting away.

My Canon inkjet is ink-jetting away.

My Apple PowerPC is burning a DVD

My Apple Powerbook is doing something with some other stuff

The Universe is expanding and cooling off.

My Alesis Masterlink is burning a CD.

Everything is happening just fine in the above list, but COULD MY MASTERLINK BE ANY SLOWER????

What is going on with this thing? Or is it that the ever increasing speeds of everything else make the Masterlink seem egregiously slow by comparison?

It'd sure be nice if the Tascam DV-RA1000 had a hard drive....

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

Well, when you buy dedicated hardware devices you're trading off flexibility and performance for the 'turnkey' experience.

Some people find that there's a value in having a "one-box solution" and they don't 'mind paying exorbitant amounts and putting up with less-than-contemporary performance for the "hassle-free" one-box experience.

When I bought my first CD-burner (an outboard SCSI 2x) for $600, most commercial studios were still paying many thousands of dollars for standalone burners that had all kinds of issues.

I remember many a studio owner saying things like, "I just don't want the hassle of a computer" and then going on to complain about how their perfect one box solution was screwing up in some fashion or another and spewing out bad burns on then wildly expensive (and somtimes even 'proprietary') blanks...

:D

Didn't the Alesis Masterlink only have a 4X burner onboard? IMO, compared to most of today's computer CD-RW's, that is pretty dang slow. IOW, I think you're right - the speed increases with everything else makes the Masterlink seem slow in comparison.

I wonder if anyone figured out a hack to upgrade it to a faster internal burner?

• Members

To render a single song and burn the CD using 'Create CD' button should take about 5-10 minutes, give or take. If you're doing a bunch of tunes that way, put on a pot of coffee and enjoy your favorite soap-opera. 'Dems pretty slow. On the other hand, when you're done editing each individual song in DSP, 'rendering' it then and there will save time later on when burning(the CD.. not the coffee) using 'Create CD'. :D :D Paul

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Didn't the Alesis Masterlink only have a 4X burner onboard? IMO, compared to most of today's computer CD-RW's, that is pretty dang slow. IOW, I think you're right - the speed increases with everything else makes the Masterlink seem slow in comparison.

I wonder if anyone figured out a hack to upgrade it to a faster internal burner?

Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades will swap out the opamps, upgrade the electronics, and install a bigger hard drive, but I don't know if he can install a faster burner. You're right though, out of the box, it's gotta be a tawdry 4X max.

I figured I'd have Jim pimp my Masterlink, but I just haven't gotten around to it, and as it ages, I'm getting less motivated. I'd rather just buy a Masterlink killer, but I haven't found one yet.

I do like the turnkey approach, though. Warts and all.

-Peace, Love, and Blilps

Archived