Pedal content: considering the Bad Monkey

kwakatak

• Members

I have a BM i use when i play worship and i generally use it as a boost or with fairly low gain settings. I find this works well with full chords as each note is clear. My band is large and i find the more gain i use, the more confused the mix gets (3 guitars, keys, bass etc.). Try it for $40 - if you are like me you probably spend that much on coffee in a week.

I could play worship with the BM and the DD20 alone. Bases covered.

• Members
I play a Strat through a Hot Rod Deluxe which has a great clean tone but ... I also play in my church's praise band and I'd like to be able to add a little distortion to the mix when we play music from the likes of Sonicflood, Casting Crowns, etc.

That made me smile...I guess worship has come a long way. I remember when I was a kid I knew a guy who snuck AC/DC and Led Zeppelin records into his house because his religious parents wouldn't allow it. If you'd told me then that in 25 years dudes would be looking for the right "distortion box" for their church band, I would've said you're crazy.

But I will cast another vote for the Bad Monkey. I run mine all the time into my vox ad30. I was playing last night and thought my tone was lacking life...then I looked down and saw the BM was inadvertantly turned off. :o That pedal has spoiled me.

• Members

I play a Strat through a Hot Rod Deluxe which has a great clean tone but secretly I've been wanting to get some distortion from it without getting too loud. I've already come to the conclusion (based on lurking, reading the reviews and listening to MP3s over at MF) that the Bad Monkey may be able to "wake up" the HRDx for good blues tone with the Strat.

How does it do with hard rock tone, though? I also play in my church's praise band and I'd like to be able to add a little distortion to the mix when we play music from the likes of Sonicflood, Casting Crowns, etc.

Are there any other pedals (ideally under $100) that I should also be considering, either along with or instead of the Bad Monkey?

BTW, I'd be probably be using 2 different guitars for each: Strat for blues, Kramer Striker ST-600 for hard rock (rhythm guitar only).

If it's anything like my OD-808, then no on the distortion side. It won't give you the distortion you're looking for. I'll record some clips from my OD-808 and post them up for you tonight if I get the chance. see ya around partner.

• Members

I recommend the Ibanez TS9 over the BM. I have both.

I like the fact that the BM has a separate bass knob which is great for warming up my 1st generation Marshall Valvestate 8080, but my Fender Tube amps don't need that and they benefit more from the more spatial arena-rock tone from the TS9. The BM has more of a focused (the sound is coming from there - ) tone to it than the TS9.

But the TS9 is just under a $100 and the BM is no more than $40.

• Members

i like the BD-2 better with my strat. it sounds more "open" and to me has a better sound. that fizzy sound it gets with humbuckers just isn't there, which surprised me, because i thought with single coils it would be worse. the bad monkey is awesome with humbuckers - i really love it (esp. for the price :D). but with the strat it sounds to my ears a little muddy and congested. YMMV :)

• Members

OK, here's another question that another thread made me think of:

Will I be able to get decent gain at lower levels? I'm not talking about "bedroom levels" but say if I kept my HRD's volume/master knobs set to 2 or 3?

Yes. It worked well with my Fender Blues Jr with the volume set on 2.

• Members

Well, I just picked up the Bad Monkey today and have had a chance to toy with it at low volume. I gotta say that it's a definite improvement, especially with just the clean tone selected. The amps "Gain" and "More Gain" channels still sound like poo to me but I'm happy (for now) with just a little more "crunch" in my tone - especially if I favor the low EQ on the BM. :thu:

At $40 - even at the local mom & pop shop - it certainly was a deal and surprisingly was not hard to talk my wife into. What's really good though is that not once did my wife call out from the other room and say "turn that down". She just studiously ignored me, just as if I were playing my acoustics. :o

Archived