F**K Katrina!!

Gabriel E.

• Members

Originally posted by realtrance

down to 140mph or so from the 160-175mph gusts that were measured earlier, but it's unpredictable. There's also a chance -- let us hope -- that the storm could miss Nawlins.

That 175mph was not GUSTS, it was SUSTAINED. It has GUSTS to 215mph.

Whew! It's missing New Orleans by a few miles east. Still bad for New Orleans. And of course, worse for those east of there. But it least it went down to 145mph. SUSTAINED.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Whew! It's missing New Orleans by a few miles east. Still bad for New Orleans. And of course, worse for those east of there.

Meaning my cousins in Gulfport.

Fortunately, I just received word that they are all safe. However, one of my cousins was rescued by boat - his house and car are entirely flooded!

Another one of my cousins helped build a hotel there that's flooded up to the third floor; he says that's about 30 feet high!

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this disaster.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Thinking good thoughts for Gabriel and all others caught in the path of this monster. They're forecasting torrential rains in Nashville tomorrow.

Metro schools have already cancelled school tomorrow. We'll see how Lilly's school goes. We live 23 miles from school, so I hope it's either so bad school closes before we leave or light and school goes on without a hitch.

• Members

Sorry to hear about your cousins Geoff. :( At least they are safe.

Our drummer Spyder is from New Orleans and his family is all still there. They tried to book a hotel a couple of days ago but couldn't find anything all the way to Texas. So they holed up at the home of one of his sisters who is apparently well away from the areas where flooding was expected. He talked to them around 9 this morning and they were OK, but the phone lines have been down since. :(

Gabriel, glad you guys could get well away, and hope your home is OK. It could've been much worse, but I guess we won't really know how bad it is for awhile yet. Still sending out my thoughts and prayers to everyone in the affected areas.

• Members

Guess whose school is open for business?? ;)

Driving home last night and to her school this morning was deceptively treacherous. Most of the time the rain was steady but relatively light. But between the roads being covered in a thin veneer of water and my front tires having almost no tread, I was hydroplaning several times despite the precautions I took.

Still, we made it in about the normal time and I was on time to work, another 17 miles drive into Nashville.

I feel for everyone in affected areas. I awoke at 3:30am and turned on the news. As the morning was breaking in the worst hit areas, a man pulled up in an old Caddie with his two boys next to the reporter. They engaged each other, she asking his story and he, eager to pour out his misery to someone..

Apparently the water went up at least to their roof. It was unclear if they were in the water, but somehow they were holding hands until he could hold on no longer. She told him to let go and said to take care of the kids. He doesn't know where she is or if she's alive or dead. Poor guy was just wandering around in a daze with his boys looking for shelter and a shoulder to cry on. :(

• Members

Hi everyone. We're ok. We made it to Houston on Sunday morning.

Of course we're worried about our house and my car. We live in an area of New Orleans called Esplanade Ridge which is higher than most of the city. This morining I saw some helicopter footage of my neighborhood and there were a couple of feet of water everywhere. So my car may be toast but my house might be ok. Or maybe not. The levee has breached in two places and the city is continuing to flood.

In any case, we're a lot better off than many of the city's poorer residents. The 9th ward is totally underwater. People are trapped in their attics and on roofs. I fear that there are going to be a lot of fatalities in that area. The possibility of losing some vintage guitars kind of pales in comparison.

The long-term concern is our jobs. Even if the house is ok, we may not be back at work for weeks, if at all. The area where I work is under several feet of water. My wife works at a law firm downtown which is also submerged. Power isn't likely to be available for weeks.

So the current plan is to drive with our cats, dogs and baby up to stay with my wife's parents in Irvington New York. My wife can get a job temping and I can watch Hyacinth. I'll return to N.O. once it's possible to do so and see what's going on.

In any case we're safe. The people to worry about are the ones still in the city and in Mississippi.

Take care everyone!

Gabriel

• Members

Please don't mistake this post for a lack of concern for human life and total financial devastation of families in the wake of this disaster, but am I the only one whose mind has imagined fine acoustic and electric guitars, microphones and keyboards and recording gear floating or sinking in the streets of New Orleans?? What does one make of a $50,000 Steinway that's been utterly destroyed by water and debris, besides, perhaps, firewood?? :(

I was at GC last weekend, drooling over their mic display case (Blue Bottle with all the capsules, Neumanns, etc.) and my imagination keeps trying to put that sight in the pictures I've seen of N.O.

• Members

My worries of the moment are not on the horrible loss of life and property that resulted from the storm. That happened, some of it was inevitable and uncontrollable, and what's done is done.

Instead, the thoughts of New Orleans as some kind of lawless, post-apocolyptic battle zone of every man for himself is really depressing. It's more than the looting... I've lived through the LA riots, and I'm familiar with the mindset of people who grab what they can as soon as they're in a position to do so.

But armed people walking/wading around, with no regard to authority, people shooting at National Guardsmen, snipers shooting at hospitals... my God, what the hell has happened to people?

I know the media is only focusing on the worst instead of the best of the situation. But it makes me sick inside that at a time when everyone could be helping where they can (and receiving help when they need it), society can so quickly degenerate into a cro-magnon mindset.

We, as a species, are not nearly as advanced as we think we are. It's sad.

- Jeff

I'm with you on that Jeff... I've heard reports that they had to release everyone in the N.O. prisons. I can understand that you can't keep people locked up without food and water and sanitation, but I have to wonder what percentage of these attacks are being done by released prisoners...

I understand SOME looting. If you break into a Big 5 or similar sporting goods store and take a few rubber boats to help evac people, I can understand that. I can also understand people taking food, water, baby formula and other things of that nature - it's survival. But TV's, jewelry, money and other such things? And shooting at the very people who are out there trying to help? IMO, there's NO excuse for that! :mad:

• Members

According to all reports, there are literally gangs of armed thugs patrolling the streets, and they way outnumber the police and other authorities.

The city has descended into anarchy, with many people simply angry because they're not getting help.

From the AP:

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, `You better come get my family.'"

Some Federal Emergency Management rescue operations were suspended in areas where gunfire has broken out, Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington. "In areas where our employees have been determined to potentially be in danger, we have pulled back," he said.

I think fear is the big culprit here. Enough fear will cause the most civilized person to become a raving lunatic, and that's what going on en masse in NO right now. You can be a normal person your whole life, but with all your possessions gone, no food, no water, piles of excretement and dead bodies piled around... your whole point of reference is removed, and you become someone you never knew before.

It's frightening in and of its own right... the fast de-evolution of humanity. I find it understandable and yet incredibly disturbing.

- Jeff

Archived