Bad Bands with People You Know In Them

deanmass

• Members

Sooooo...

I went to see a local cover band Saturday night, nice place, tent event. Know one of the guys and sat in on vocals a couple years ago. Not bad as cover bands go...

This time, I made it through the 5th song, and I had to leave. It was absolutely horrible. Out of tune, off pitch, bad mix, wrong tempo, flubbed lyrics..the whole rotten tamale.....

I just ducked my head and headed for the door.

No real point, just thought, hey, I can't be the only one who has had this experience.....But I felt bad for bailing on them...Just could not take it.

• Members

Yeah that sucks. I know these folks that are really nice, and very close friends of some of my friends, but they are in what has got to be the worst band of all time. I've seen them only once and it was one time too many. The sad thing is they're all good musicians, they just play gawdawful stuff.

I figured though that somebody must like them. But one day I met this guy in a totally unrelated situation, and it turned out he was a musician. Somehow he got to talking about some friends of his who were really nice and really close friends but he couldn't bear to sit through any of their gigs and now wouldn't even pretend to say he would show up. I said, "That wouldn't be [name of band], would it?" The guy about busted a gut laughing "YES!" Oh boy did we have a great laugh over that. :D

• Members

Holy crap. I heard a bad band recently.

A couple of things did it in for them:

1. The Yamaha 2-way speakers they were using for mains distorted at the crossover point and sounded, well... like cheap 2-way PA speakers with a 15" woofer and a horn.:rolleyes:

2. The lead singer couldn't sing. Yet he started each song saying "CHECK... CHECK 1-2".:mad:

3. The rhythm guitarist was out of tune and couldn't remember most of the chords. YET HE ACTED LIKE A MIDDLE-AGED ROCK STAR.:mad:

4. The drummer played too many fills. Every song ended in a big drum solo. And worse of all, after he started a song - each and every song - he would SLOW DOWN.

5. The monitors were louder than the mains.

6. They had no keyboard player (which is not a deal-breaker), but, with two guitarists, bass, & drums they had no glue to hold the songs together.

7. They thought they were great and handed out business cards to everyone at the (private) party.

Uggggh.:confused:

Have a nice day.

Tom

• Members

Wow, distortion at the crossover point, eh? That always spoils it for me, too ;)

Hey, I remember when I sucked too so I try to take it easy on lousy bands esp. if I know the members.

I may not go out of my way to hear them but you know what, sometimes I can have a good time if I do. Energy and attitude can go a long way if it's honest.

• Members

I was at a lounge with a couple of buddies: one a very good guitarist, the other the proud owner of a drumkit. In his mind the owner of the drumkit actually believed himself to be a drummer. Unfortunately, he was not.

So, we're listening to this excellent jazz trio. During a break, my guitarist buddy and I notice that the drumkit owner has wandered up to the jazz group and is chatting with their drummer. Then we notice that the drummer is letting our friend sit down behind his drumkit and is handing him his sticks.

Never have I experienced a more brutal musical performance. It was quite funny to see the anger well up in the face of the sax-player.:D

We listened for about two or three minutes then slipped out of the lounge while they were still playing. We left Mr. Drumkit behind.

My guitarist buddy and I never spoke of this incident with the drumkit owner. To this day I don't think he has a clue that he can't play drums.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Wow, distortion at the crossover point, eh? That always spoils it for me, too
;)

Yup. Once you hear it, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to. And it's a shame when a band that could sound OK sounds so bad simply because they use cheap FOH speakers.

To remedy this, a FOH speaker used for vocals needs to be of good design. The best use a midrange driver. The crossover between the horn and the woofer in a two-way design is right in the center of the vocal range. So when the lead vocalist decides to wail during 'Freebird', this is when your ears start to bleed. No fun indeed.

To educate yourself on this distortion so that you too can understand what I'm referring to, check out Mackie's web site where it's explained in detail.

HERE'S THE LINK.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah...went to see a knock off of Art In America and an old buddy of mine, Donnie Kolcheff, was sittin' in on bass...crappiest stuff I had heard since ...well...the last time I heard him play! Wait..he never was much good anyways....what was I thinking!

• Members

Maybe because I`m just tired of being the judgemental frustrated musician but I don`t know what is good anymore and what is bad. I swear there are times when I hear something so damn good but most people don`t know it. (ex: Josh Rouse)

I was in Cbs Gallery several weeks ago (before they closed) for one of their Songwriters Sessions. This is a show where you send in a demo and they call you if they like you. I heard stuff that night that I wouldn`t call music but people were clapping. I mean there was one guy who was singing English but I didn`t comprehed one word. Not even a word like "the" "you" "Me" "a", etc...

I can only say they were a very supportive crowd or they just don`t know what the hell good music is.

Not even musicians can agree what is good.

I`m at the point where if you are having a good time and so are the people who are coming out to hear you or talk while you play, who cares? No harm done.

Archived