Les Paul BFG

Joranges

• Members

I remember the last topic I read on here, some guy mentioned how it was too pricey. I don't know if anyone's bought this up to anyone's attention, but it's slightly cheaper than a Studio now (which from what most people I've heard say, is a good buy)!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-BFG-Electric-Guitar?sku=512579

--Same thing for Sweetwater though:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPBGTGDB/

[if I'm repeating old news, *runs*]

• Members

Yeah, yeah. But the Studio is attractive, the sort of guitar that a person can feel ok about being seen in public with. The BFG stands for Bad {censored}ing Guitar. It is ugly. A person could only play it at home, in private. You couldn't play the thing at a bar, or anyplace that had people and witnesses. Seriously; picture yourself. Now picture yourself with a BFG strapped to your body. How weird is that? If you are a regular person, it is very weird and not ok.

• Members

I really like the pickup combination, but thats about all I like about it.

I feel the same way. But I have to agree with everyone, the finish is hideous. :o

Plus.. the yellow spray paint thing where the truss rod is supposed to be really doesn't do it for me.

• Members

they look much better in person. I was pretty suprised.

Still though, I think its neat how it has rear mounted pickups, which isnt something you see on a Gibson. Plus a P90 in a neck and burstbucker3 in the bridge?? Awsome combo!

I wish they would make a regular studio like that

• Members

they look much better in person. I was pretty suprised.

Still though, I think its neat how it has rear mounted pickups, which isnt something you see on a Gibson. Plus a P90 in a neck and burstbucker3 in the bridge?? Awsome combo!

I wish they would make a regular studio like that

+1

One thing I like about the BFG a lot is the finish on the back (in the photo on the Gibson website the guitar rotates).

I applaud Gibson for branching out and trying new pickup combinations and new styles -- they've got to keep things fresh or the Asian guitar makers are going to blow them out of Tennessee.

• Members

If the BFG came in something a bit more classier than a parts together LP kind of look, then I would be more interested.

Think piano black with ebony fretboard, switchtips and truss rod cover included. Top it off with gold bell knobs, natural body binding (ala PRS) and a cover for the Burstbucker.

I'd hit it. :love:

• Members

I don't like polite looking guitars. Most strats are overly polite looking. Most Les Pauls look like you should wear a tux when playing them. I like this cause its a dick in the dirt guitar. No frills, just meant to rock. Its not 100% what I'd want, but nothing is.

If I'm playin material I like, I'd have no problems in a club with this thing and a good, loud amp.

• Members

It is ugly. A person could only play it at home, in private. You couldn't play the thing at a bar, or anyplace that had people and witnesses.

What are you talking about? Most people at a bar won't even pay attention to the minor details on the guitar. Its a very standard shape, more people would notice a V. It might be weird looking to you, but that's because you play and you care about the little things.

• Members

I don't know if anyone's bought this up to anyone's attention, but it's slightly cheaper than a Studio now (which from what most people I've heard say, is a good buy)!

It damn well better be cheaper than a Studio, since it's basically a Studio that was pulled off the assembly line about 10 steps too soon. I mean, seriously, the faded series is one thing, and I can see the appeal of a guitar whose finish isn't as flashy or durable to cut costs on an otherwise nice guitar, but they didn't even sand this {censored}er.

• Members

What are you talking about? Most people at a bar won't even pay attention to the minor details on the guitar. Its a very standard shape, more people would notice a V. It might be weird looking to you, but that's because you play and you care about the little things.

Excellent Point! Unless you are tyring to impress guitarists in the crowd.

• Members

I like it, but it's overpriced.

At $750 or so I'd hit it- love the pickups and even the finish, but the knobs are awful and the lack of a truss rod cover is idiotic.

This is more Sarah Jessica Parker than Sandra Bernhardt- great parts but the complete package just doesn't work.

• Members

I haven't seen one or played one yet so I'll wait to pass judgement, but personally, I kinda like the black one. I'm a sucker for trans black finished, I tend to like worn in guitars and on P90s guitars, I tend to stick with the neck pickup 90% of the time and on 2HB guitars, I tend to stick with the bridge PU over half the time so the pickup combo suits be just fine.

For changes, I'd like a bit darker fretboard. I'd probably put an old beat up pickup cover on the bridge PU and I'd replace the knobs with some old ones that match though I'm not sure what color I'd go for on the trans black guitar.

• Members

+1

One thing I like about the BFG a lot is the finish on the back (in the photo on the Gibson website the guitar rotates).

I applaud Gibson for branching out and trying new pickup combinations and new styles -- they've got to keep things fresh or the Asian guitar makers are going to blow them out of Tennessee.

Which color?

The red with the natural finish wasn't too bad but the Black one is horrible. MF has pics of the back. It looks like sombody's kid hit it with a can of spray paint and then tried to wipe it off with a towel.

• Members

Which color?

The red with the natural finish wasn't too bad but the Black one is horrible. MF has pics of the back. It looks like sombody's kid hit it with a can of spray paint and then tried to wipe it off with a towel.

That's exactly what I thought about the black one on Musician's Friend.

Archived