Here's the sound I want - recommend me some tele pickups to get it

lburger

• Members

Hi all,

I've purchased a tele body and now need to get some pickups. The sound I'd love to get is something close to the tele player picking the solo's with Jerry Reed in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lB4UgQtbI

His first solo is around 1:33. Funkiest country song you'll find suuuun!

Anyway, can you recommend pickups you think would be a good start on that sound? I know we've got a ton of tele players here. Tele is standard routing, no humbuckers.

Thanks a million, although you all are responsible for this buy and a few others... ;)

• Members

That Jerry Reed clip was :love: :love: :love:

Yes I'm also considering some new Tele pickups...

Currently I'm looking at:
Lindy Fralin stock
Kent Armstrong (hot front and rear)
Kinman ( 60's Custom set or Broadcaster)
or
Fender 62 Vintage Tele Customs

I don't know which one exacly but it's going to be one of those.

PS: The price will be a factor too probably.
:(

• Members

That's a Peavey Artist, the heaviest, loudest, 1 12" speaker combo on the planet. I used to own one. Boogie this. And I've owned plenty of GOOD Boogie amps.

And I'd have to say most of that tone is the amp, not the Tele. Peavey's just have that boxy, mid chunky sound.

If you find an old Peavey, remember this: turn the tone knobs down, not up. Dimed sounds stupid, but turn em down and you go WHOA. Peavey made these things with too hifi of a response and not a classic guitar amp response.

• Members

Cool - I'll check out the BareKnuckles, although you're right; they do look expensive.

I'm sure you're right about the amp helping, but certainly the pickups are important too. Consider that I'm starting from ground zero, and don't already have a high end strat.

Any other suggestions tele players?

• Members

I'd have to agree on the amp being essential to capture that sound - chunky but clean with an attenuated top end. Otherwise, I'm not hearing anything extra special from the guitar itself - pretty much any vintage voiced alnico tele PUs should get you in the ballpark. Well, that and some fine country chops.

Archived