Amp Volume . . .

Guitin Better

• Members

I have a Fender 25 watt practice amp that I really like the sound of. However, when I crank it above say 5 or so it sounds real fuzzy. It goes plenty loud enought to piss off my wife before it fuzzes out but I'm wondering why they put more amp in it than the speaker can take.

Can I rewire the amp to drive a larger cabinet if I'm careful with the impedance?

• Members

Is it a frontman? If it is and this is bothering maybe you should just shop for a new amp

I have a frontman. Same problem. I am looking for a new amp. Can anyone suggest a nice sounding tube that will work in a basement setting (generally played quietly)?

• Members

I'm in the same boat with my Trademark 10, though my speaker doesn't break up unless it's cranked, I just want more fullness to the sound and the ability to play it at full tilt with no worries.

It's absolutely doable, but for a Fender Frontman probably isn't worth it. There are two possibilities:

1. You could shoe-horn a 10" speaker in there. Get out the jigsaw and stick a 10" in there. That'll be the quickest fix.

2. Get a new Amp (like a Tech 21 Trademark 30) which will do the frontman tone, plus more.

3. Build a new 1x12 cabinet for that one.

I'm doing option 3 for my amp, but my amp is a real Gem for my tone. Plus, I'm making the cabinet big enough that I can change the "amp guts" out for another amp later on if I want. I've designed it so that the piece that mounts the amp chassis is removable, and I could just make a new one if I need to reconfigure. :)

• Members

I'm in the same boat with my Trademark 10, though my speaker doesn't break up unless it's cranked, I just want more fullness to the sound and the ability to play it at full tilt with no worries.

It's absolutely doable, but for a Fender Frontman probably isn't worth it. There are two possibilities:

1. You could shoe-horn a 10" speaker in there. Get out the jigsaw and stick a 10" in there. That'll be the quickest fix.

2. Get a new Amp (like a Tech 21 Trademark 30) which will do the frontman tone, plus more.

3. Build a new 1x12 cabinet for that one.

I'm doing option 3 for my amp, but my amp is a real Gem for my tone. Plus, I'm making the cabinet big enough that I can change the "amp guts" out for another amp later on if I want. I've designed it so that the piece that mounts the amp chassis is removable, and i could just make a new faceplate to mount a different amp chassis to it.

Archived