Fender Custom Shop pickups

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Hmmm, so Fat 50s:(

Me no likee.....way way too bassy for my liking and I cant EQ to anything I really like, I've only been playing them a while this evening, but after playing my 70s style Strat with the VVG P90 Strat size pups in.

I don't think these pups are my cup of tea, but quite a few HC reviewers say there's a lot to play with in terms of pickups heights.

I don't hear "bell like chimes" or "glassy highs", I actually find them muddy:cry: dark.....I think Fat as in couch potato......I'm deeply disappointed.

Consolation is that I'll be able to get back what I paid for them, but pissed off that I have to start looking again:rolleyes:

• Members

I own the CS-69, CS-Texas Specials, and the CS-54's. The 54's are arguably Fenders best pick-up. BESIDE their CS-60's which isn't a pick-up they sell over the counter and ONLY go in their CS Strats. 60 Relic? Thats what in their! ...Anyway the 54's give you the Chimmy, Glassy, Clear, Vintage Strat Tone and are similiar to the 69's only have a little more mid-range output. The 69's really do not have anything going in the midrange dept. But their highs and lows are so damn good sounding. The Texas Specials are the over wound mid-range soaked, med-high ouput offering by Fender. I have gone through several sets that I didn't care for till I bought my 2nd SRV. The ones in this SRV are just Super. They are not as mid-range emphisised as the other's I've had. Much more balenced, with that edgy, raw, attitide.[This set I LOVE and would NEVER part with] The 69's, and the TxSpc's, I left stock throughout the Strats. On the 50th Anniversary, I wanted to add some attitude to the bridge, so I dropped a 500K pot in and wired it to Blend the Neck and Bridge pick-ups. I love the set-up like that and really like the 54's that much more with the bridge this way now. The bridge pup almost hits Tele bridge range now. But the 54 set is the set i would say to go with. For Vintage Fender you can't go wrong with them. And evertone I know that has played both Vinatge Strats and the 54's absolutly LOVE'S the 54's!!

• Members

Hmmm, so Fat 50s:(

Me no likee.....way way too bassy for my liking and I cant EQ to anything I really like, I've only been playing them a while this evening, but after playing my 70s style Strat with the VVG P90 Strat size pups in.

I don't think these pups are my cup of tea, but quite a few HC reviewers say there's a lot to play with in terms of pickups heights.

I don't hear "bell like chimes" or "glassy highs", I actually find them muddy:cry: dark.....I think Fat as in couch potato......I'm deeply disappointed.

Consolation is that I'll be able to get back what I paid for them, but pissed off that I have to start looking again:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if the Fat 50's would sound better in an Ash Strat?

I think you would like Lindy Fralin's Vintage Hot Pups...I certainly do. I hear everything you describe in my Alder Strat, ""bell like chimes, glassy highs," and a certain woody tone.

You can find Fralin's website and phone number online. You can email or call them. If you describe what tone you are looking for, they will steer you to the right pup. I have actually spoken with Lindy himself, and the man likes to talk. He is very helpful.

I bought my pups at acmeguitarworks.com because it was a great deal. I was happy with their service. To add to your confusion, they also carry Lollar pups. I have never heard the Lollar in person, but many people swear by them.

Best of luck in your search for "that" tone. Also, check out the Tone Quest write ups. They have some informative reviews.

• Members

The GFS Greybottoms I had kicked the bottom of these Custom Shops.......maybe they're just not "my sound". You'll have to cop a listen of my swamp ash guitar one of these days, with the VVGs.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't judge the delta-tones by the custom shops. All very subjective, etc, etc - but in my experience with Strat pickups, 'more expensive' most definitely does not mean 'more better' ;).

Then again, I like a bright, snappy Strat tone. If you prefer a warmer, more rolled-off, middy tone - the BK Apaches do this very well - a function of the Alnico III. Alnico V is where it's at for me with Strat pickups :cool:.

Yeah, I'd love to hear your swamp ash - gaunnae post some clips? :)

• Moderators

Fair enough, but I wouldn't judge the delta-tones by the custom shops. All very subjective, etc, etc - but in my experience with Strat pickups, 'more expensive' most definitely does
not
mean 'more better'
;)

Then again, I like a bright, snappy Strat tone. If you prefer a warmer, more rolled-off, middy tone - the BK Apaches do this very well - a function of the Alnico III. Alnico V is where it's at for me with Strat pickups
:cool:

Yeah, I'd love to hear your swamp ash - gaunnae post some clips?
:)

No, I agree, I think the Delta tones would have done fine, but so many people banged on about the Fat 50s that I thought they had to be tried. if I had paid full UK retail for them, I'd be crosser than a cross thing with a PhD in crossness from Cross College, Cambridge, but hey, I'll just sell em......OK, they're on eBay already. I don't like warm, I like trebley......the buckers I just had Pete wind for me are BMT 5, 6, 9. Maybe I need to go ceramic or Al V at least......Al IIs are pretty trebley aint they?

Post some clips, hell I was gonna post the guitar:cool:

• Members

No, I agree, I think the Delta tones would have done fine, but so many people banged on about the Fat 50s that I thought they had to be tried. if I had paid full UK retail for them, I'd be crosser than a cross thing with a PhD in crossness from Cross College, Cambridge, but hey, I'll just sell em......OK, they're on eBay already. I don't like warm, I like trebley......the buckers I just had Pete wind for me are BMT 5, 6, 9. Maybe I need to go ceramic or Al V at least......Al IIs are pretty trebley aint they?

Post some clips, hell I was gonna post the guitar:cool:

As I understand it, Al II is brighter than Al III , but softer than Al V. Mind you, as you know yourself, there are other factors... composition of wire, gauge of wire, windings...

P.S. You wouldn't post that guitar anywhere - it's got to be a keeper!

• Moderators

What didn't you like about the fat '50s Sean, I'm curious?

P.S. You wouldn't post that guitar anywhere - it's got to be a keeper!

I think I misunderstood the term "fat", and thought "hot";)

Really too much bias to the bass end of the spectrum, although I've played a fair few LP type guitars this is the first time I've experienced "muddy"....and on a damn Strat.

I was thinking of an exchange or summat....it's a shame our postal system is so bloody expensive, it'd be 12 quid each way....what do you play anyway again?

• Moderators

P.S. Just read the rest of the thread, didn't realise it was started last year.

From all that's been said, I would say that - from all the Fender pickups - the CS 69s would have been the best bet for you. They are, allegedly, the most dynamic and punchy of the lot.

From what Gris said all the CS pups are the same apart from the 50s neck and the 54s....or summat?

• Members

I think I misunderstood the term "fat", and thought "hot";)

Really too much bias to the bass end of the spectrum, although I've played a fair few LP type guitars this is the first time I've experienced "muddy"....and on a damn Strat.

I was thinking of an exchange or summat....it's a shame our postal system is so bloody expensive, it'd be 12 quid each way....what do you play anyway again?

I play a bog-standard American Series Strat. I've learned my lesson after the Kinman/BKP fiasco, so I'm going to leave the pickups in that one alone.

However, at

Archived