Learning rubbish

blackpig

• Members

How do people here about having to learn rubbish songs because a customer wants them? I've got a gig at a wedding next week and the happy couple want me to sing a couple of second rate cheesy ballads made popular by Christy Moore. Part of me says the customer is always right and should get what they pay for; another part (slightly larger) says I'm a musician, not a whore. The piper I play with took the gig and thought it was ok to do this stuff - but then he's not the one doing the singing. I can't believe that these people want this drivel sung in the church - during the actual ceremony! Maybe I'm a snob...but I bet there'll be live nude mud wrestling during the reception.:rolleyes:

• Members

Well, learning stuff you don't like for a wedding is easy, because you'll probably never have to sing it again. That said, since you'll never have to sing it again, I wouldn't hesitate to use a cheat sheet on a music stand for that part of the performance if you need to.

Weddings are special gigs...the bride and groom often like some cheesy song, but it's their day, y'know. (shrug)

Chin up... :D

• Members

Copulating Snails and the Garlic Butter Boys. I intend to use a faker's sheet on a music stand - there is a danger, however, that someone is going to ask me to sing this {censored}e again at a gig somewhere - "sure ye did it at Gobdaw's wedding". Do it once and you'll be haunted forever. Some songs I steadfastly refuse to sing:

The Wild Rover

Boolavogue

The Fields of Athenry

If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour

Any "rebel" song

Danny Boy

If they want this sort of crap at their wedding they should hire a third rate pub ballad group. This is a solemn and holy ceremony taking place in a church, for God's sake. These slappers seem blind to the fact that on the day they make their vows they are going to mar the proceedings with music that can only be described as plumbing the lowest depths of snivelling mediocrity.

I found a solution to the snail problem. Delicious they are too. :D

• Members

I think this is a common problem. I met a piano player who absolutely refuses to play "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. Even though this is the most requested song for piano players.

Regarding Irish Music, I read that the Clancy Brothers refused to play Danny Boy. My exposure to Irish music has mainly been through the internet. I love the Dubliners and The Clancy Brothers, who are both older bands. The younger Irish bands I

• Members

With all due respect I think that your question is kind of silly.

You are doing a wedding not TRL live. You are providing a service not performing at a concert. If you are going to take their money you learn the songs, and play them well.

This is why so many musicians are broke or never working. I do 250 one nighters per year and I have for a very long time. It's not a concert unless your name is on the ticket. Everything else; bars, weddings, corporate gigs are an artist providing a service to a paying customer. Use that money to leverage your career and then you can play whatever you want. Until then; check your ego and your attitude and get paid, and be very thankful that you are one of the few musicians making money that night.

Sorry; end of rant.:(

• Members

I suppose ye're right - the customer pays so he gets what he wants. I looks as though this is going to be purely academic anyway as I'm coming down with a bug that makes my throat feel like sandpaper with chili sauce on it.

With regard to rebel songs, there arn't too many bands playing that sort of stuff now. It's regarded as anachronistic and puerile, and dosn't fit with the image of the modern Ireland we all like to think is cool and groovy. Rebel songs are also seen as a way of promoting blind hate for the sake of it - not very cool given the current political climate here. There's enough violence and strife about without some mad drunk paddy singing about it. I myself have also noticed that venues and bands peddling rebel songs tend to attract a nastier type of customer. You're more likely to get a glass in the face at one of these gigs.

• Members

Once I was asked to play the bride's and the groom's favorite songs in church as they came down the aisle.

His favorite: "Release Me" by Englebert Humperdinck. The first line is "Please release me let me go, for I don't love you anymore."

Her favorite: "My Way" by Frank Sinatra. The first line is "And now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain."

No matter how I tried to explain to them that these were probably not the most appropriate lyrics for me to sing for a wedding, they insisted that these were their favorite songs and they wanted to hear them at their wedding. So I sang them.

I've often wondered how long that marriage lasted.

• Members

At our wedding Mrs. Blackpig & I had a selection of tunes from Bach, Mozart & Handel - all music appropriate for a church setting. My agent played the organ, his wife sang a bit and Mrs. Blackpig's niece played the cello. The songs were all old Irish hymns from the early Christian tradition. At the reception afterwards a session involving around 30 musos went on for three days. Jigs, reels, hornpipes, polkas, slides, slow airs and a few Dylan songs for good measure. There's a time and a place.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

Part of me says the customer is always right and should get what they pay for; another part (slightly larger) says I'm a musician, not a whore.

If you're playing for free, you're not a whore (though you may be a slut).

If you're being paid, you're every bit the whore, and you need to do what your audience wants.

I have to do this all the time. Wanna hear me do some Celine Dion? Cause I will, you know, if you're not nice.

- Jeff

• Members

Mr. Donovan -

www.thecassisys.com

is a good place to start looking for old Irish stuff. The site seems to be down at the moment, however. Here's another link:

http://www.dnaco.net/~mobrien/irishptr/biblio.html

We fished some stuff out of a book called "Medieval Irish Lyrics" by James Carney, published by Dolmen Press of Dublin. I'm not sure if it's still in print.

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

Copulating Snails and the Garlic Butter Boys. I intend to use a faker's sheet on a music stand - there is a danger, however, that someone is going to ask me to sing this {censored}e again at a gig somewhere - "sure ye did it at Gobdaw's wedding". Do it once and you'll be haunted forever. Some songs I steadfastly refuse to sing:

The Wild Rover

Boolavogue

The Fields of Athenry

If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour

Any "rebel" song

Danny Boy

If they want this sort of crap at their wedding they should hire a third rate pub ballad group. This is a solemn and holy ceremony taking place in a church, for God's sake. These slappers seem blind to the fact that on the day they make their vows they are going to mar the proceedings with music that can only be described as plumbing the lowest depths of snivelling mediocrity.

I found a solution to the snail problem. Delicious they are too.
:D

They have Irish people in Ireland, too? I thought they all lived here in Cleveland.

Archived