Oh, I just had to post this: $1500 electric guitar made from 1/3 of a $15 Ikea table

azzzy

• Members

actually just noticed the pine is only the top, guess the rest of it is much higher quality lumber.

Considering the top is almost half the body, that in itself is strange. But if you look at the back it appears to be the same wood. With the same knots. :D

• Members

So pine is now a "tonewood".

You know, there is a lot of talk about the tone of pine - the original Telecaster prototypes were pine, and Bill Carson and Forrest White both said that the pine protos sounded much better than the Ash they ended up using. Pine is a soft wood, and one that, as is conventional wisdom, is too soft for use in guitars - the stresses can cause the wood to bend or crack, or release screw threads.

But that type of construction - the laminate used in the table - might mitigate that. So while we dismiss pine for anything but cheap furniture, the reason it hasn't been used in guitars as far as I can find (and I researched this awhile ago for a friend of mine) is merely structural. Now, people think that just because it isn't used in commercial guitars pine doesn't sound good, but there is no evidence to the contrary, and quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that pine can sound good - wasn't pine used in Danelectros, and some of the other Masonite guitars?

Now, I'm not speaking of the price or anything, just saying that pine as a wood might surprise you. :thu:

• Members

Pine is a soft wood, and one that, as is conventional wisdom, is too soft for use in guitars - the stresses can cause the wood to bend or crack, or release screw threads.

But that type of construction - the laminate used in the table - might mitigate that.

Yeah, along with the resonance and sustain. :) By the way, a couple of years ago I dropped my ex-wife's pine book shelf out of a 4th story window and it sounded awesome!!! :thu: Not much sustain but very warm cracking sound. Lots of mids too! I wish all my guitars cut through the mix like that crack cut through the street noise! :D

Archived