Line 6 Spider III 75

Darylb23

• Members

I cant speak to what works for a gigging musician because I am not one and will likely never be one but for me, I cant imagine a better amp. I have seen some pretty strong opinions on these amps from one end of the spectrum to the other. It is apparently a love or hate issue. It turns out, I love it.

I have only been able to spend a couple of hours with it so far but it does everything I was looking for and more. I had decided on certain specific criteria for an amp based on what I thought I needed. I am a fairly new player so it is difficult to know exactly what you want when you havent done it before but I think I got it right this time.

First, I wanted good clear sound. I am getting better at playing so I am not as embarrassed to play out loud on the weekends. This amp does that.

I wanted headphone capability because that is primarily how I practice. Has it and sounds great, unlike most non-modelling amps I have tried.

I had decided on a modelling amp because of three reasons. 1. From what I read, it would sound better with headphones and aux input and it does. 2. I am learning several different things so I wanted the various sounds, not necessary but cool to me. 3. I wanted ease of operation, I like presets for that reason. This amp couldnt be easier to use. It has tons of presets so you can call up a tone that way or use the amp model knob to dial in what you want. All of the models have preset eq settings so they sound pretty good but you can tweak.

It also has the ability to save 36 user presets. You can either save some of the factory presets and just save them to a user slot so you can pull it up easier or use an amp model and dial in what you want and save it.

Like I said, I have no idea if it works for the more experienced or gigging musicial but it fits me perfect. Here is an example. Last night I was learning a new song from an internet video. I plugged the computer into the aux in and plugged headphones into the amp. My family was in the room watching tv so I didnt want to disturb them. Normally I would have my headphones plugged into an amp or micro br with earbuds plugged into the computer and stuffed under my headphones. This was obviously easier. I plugged my guitar into the amp and picked the tone and off I went.

Then, once I had worked through the song a few times (strumming the chords to Take it Easy), I unplugged the computer and plugged in my mp3 player and played along to the song a bunch of times.

I finished with that and just went through some of the other songs I am practicing using different tones for a while. It was so much easier to not have so many cords and headphones to deal with and it is way easier to get what I want than the micro br and sounds much better. I can also plug the micro br in and play with the drum loops. The whole idea was to make it easier to practice by creating less set up and break down and generally make it easier to use. Mission definitely accomplished. The guitar and phones are right there plugged in so all I really have to do is turn it on and play.

I posted this because when I was looking for information on amps, it was helpful to find examples from people actually using the amp. So, maybe this is helpful to someone.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How does it sound at low volume without the headphones?

I was looking at the 30 or 15 watt one but the 75watt one gives you more features.

It sounds great. Basically it sounds that same as with headphones. I went with the 75 because it had more features. I was playing it the other day at a pretty low volume and it sounds the same as at louder volumes ................. only not as loud. I guess that is characteristic of SS amps or at least modellers. It also has a master volume, a channel volume and a drive control so you can create that little more dirt without having to crank the volume.

I only have my little 15w crate practice amp to compare it to. I always thought it sounded a little hollow or boxy but I think that is the case with most amps like it. The Spider is very clear.

I havent played with it enough yet but so far, I think it is the best thing I have bought.

• Members
I played the 75 watter, but I thought the 150 sounded better, so thats what I got. I love it.
:thu:

My wife has already commented several times on how big the 75 is, I can only imagine her reaction to a bigger one. I played it for her at nice volumes though and she really liked how it sounded.

• Members

The secret is not to have anything around that sounds better. I've got about a half dozen amps laying around and I play them all. I've got myself convinced they all sound different and none of them sound better. That way they're all great.

That makes sense. Had I played the 75 first, I probably would have got it.

• Members

I've got the Spider II 112 75 watt and have used it for years.
Yes, it's a decent all-around amp and I'm pleased with it overall BUT there are two things that bother me a little:
1. it's not a tube amp at all. Just don't go there. It's a good low-cost modeler but that's it. It's still got a load of silicon and circuit board in it.
2. there is an annoying synthetic processing sound noise floor that is present when the guitar signal is very low. It really is a dynamic killer, imho, as you hear the digital "hash" more than the subtle nuances of the notes.

Still, it's a decent little amp and many people will never notice the small things that bother me. As a matter of fact, I ignore them most of the time. :)

The secret is not to have anything around that sounds better. I've got about a half dozen amps laying around and I play them all. I've got myself convinced they all sound different and none of them sound better. That way they're all great.

Ya know.... there's some sense in there.

I'm convinced some guitars sound better with some amps and not all!

• Members

the Line6 stuff with the bigger cabs (ie: the Spider 75 watter), are excellent amps. i tried out some of the smaller Spider amps, and because of the smaller speaker and small cab, they didn't sound so great.

generally i hear 2 gripes about these digital modeling amps. the first being that the models aren't 100% spot on, and that bothers a lot of people (though they do sound really good). the second is that when you crank these amps (typically volumes you'd need in gig settings) they start to sound harsh.

for low-volume home use though, these amps are incredibly hard to beat!

• Members

i see the 15 watter is $99 @ MF.

Is that a sale price or normal price?

been thinking about another little amp for practicing with. My Cube 30 stays at a friends house, leaving me just my Crate VC508 @ home (it can't do cleans very well)...

anybody know the answer to my question about pricing?

• Members
I think that's the regular price, but not too sure. why not call MF and ask?
:)

And I got a spider II 75 when they were blowing them out...absolutely great practice amp for a gigging musician, or a great primary amp for a home player!

well the 75 watter is too much for me @ home, but maybe i should call and ask MF about the 15 watter and the price.

i am more than certain it will not compare to my Roland Cube 30, the price just seemed reasonable...:blah: :blah: :blah:

Archived