Line 6 Spider III 75

Darylb23

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I started with modelling stuff and right now I'm on the verge of buying my first all-tube amp which I'd say I could appreciate more now that I've been playing for a while.
Modelling is fantastic as you're starting as the differences don't bother you that much at all and you can find where you're comfortable and you're not going to end up realising that you bought the "wrong" amp, you can always just fiddle with the presets.

That said. Give me valves baby.

- Ged

• Members

I have a spider 3 15 watter, and a peavey valveking 50 watter. the vk is bliss to play, but for most of my cannodooling i use the spider 3. Im not big on the clean sound the 15w puts out, but i guess it could be worse. I love the mesa dual rectifier "metal" channel though. ive always loved the sound of that amp and the spider 3 does it. that distortion alone to me is worth the 99 dollars. I also like the volumes this amp pushes, its alot more than my ex orange crush 30!

• Members

I have a Line 6 Flextone II amp with the Line 6 Floorboard, and love it. Been using it for the past 3 years now, primarily as just a practice amp and to see all the weird tones and effects I can get out of the thing. Although all I ever wanted was a good clean tone and good distortion, which my Marshall delivers in abundance. Honestly I don't even know ALL the stuff the Flextone can do, because well, I've never really sat down and fooled around with it. Usually I just want to plug in and play.

I think that's the regular price, but not too sure. why not call MF and ask?
:)

And I got a spider II 75 when they were blowing them out...absolutely great practice amp for a gigging musician, or a great primary amp for a home player!

That's where I'm at with it. It's also my backup. Never can be too careful. I have it set for excellent Clean, blues and rock crunch tones.

• Members

That's where I'm at with it. It's also my backup. Never can be too careful. I have it set for excellent Clean, blues and rock crunch tones.

I havent had enough time with it yet but so far I am finding some really nice tones on the two blues models. Some cleaner tones on the neck pick up on my tele and some dirtier tones on the bridge.

• Members

Then please, enlighten me. I am here to learn.

sorry i can't explain it. trust me. there ain't no warm sounds comin' out of the spiders.

there's lots of amps out there that have a warm tone to the. solid state ones too. even marshall mg's have warm tone. warm doesn't necessarily mean it's good and neither am i saying that the spider amps suck. just that the only slightly warm tone i can get out of my spider II 112 is by rolling the treble almost all the way down on a clean channel and rolling the tone knob almost all the way down on the guitar.

i find the spiders have a sharp and harsh sound to them which is the oposite of warm. too bright. even when making it "warm" by rolling off the treble considerably, it's still kinda cold.

i may sound stupid but it's hard to describe what i view as warm. usually, mids help with warmth but to me, not on the spider. the warmest channel on the spider for me would be the green cruch channel and to me that's about a 2.5 out of 10 of warmth. sounds stupid i know but i'm trying my best.

can anybody help me out here.

• Members

sorry i can't explain it. trust me. there ain't no warm sounds comin' out of the spiders.

I guess I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, that's all. I now everyone likes what I like and that is fine. Some folks never connect with certain guitars or amps. You dont seem to connect with this one. I do.

I play a tele through it and have been messing around with models and presets and whatever else I come across and dont find it harsh at all. Not all of the tones are usefull, obviously, but I find lots of thick, rich, and yes, warm tones.

My main intention in posting this was to give my impressions in case it could be helpful to someone else. I have found other people's reviews to be very helpful. Plus, it seems that certain brands bring out love or hate and Line 6 seems to be one of them. After playing this amp, I just coulndt imagine why someone would hate it. I could see not connecting or liking something else better but I couldnt understand the hate. I dont understand your comments about the warmth because I find plenty of warm tones there. I respect your opinion though and appreciate you contributing to the thread.

• Members

the only slightly warm tone i can get out of my spider II 112... .

Thanks for the input, but the thread is about Spider 3's. I think the 3's sound much better than the 2's. If there's a similar difference between the 3's and the 4's when they come out, I just might trade up. At the moment though, I dont see why I would. I got just about everything I want now.

• Members

I have 2 amps the spider 11 120 watt amp and something called a crate classic 30. I like the cleans on the spider but please don't tell me it sounds warm like my tube amp...no way...now I can't speak for the spider 111's...and I actually love the spider 11 but know its limitations...

My bandmate has the same "Spida" amp, and we love it for recording. It's very convenient for what it does. We recorded this song with the Spida III 75 watt amp.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/sureller/blowtorch.mp3

Loved it. The Spider amps have long had a decent rep for their metal tones. I think they slay there. I've found that with a little work I get warm cleans and very good blues OD from my Spider II 75 watt.

That's all I need.

• Members

Thanks for the input, but the thread is about Spider 3's. I think the 3's sound much better than the 2's. If there's a similar difference between the 3's and the 4's when they come out, I just might trade up. At the moment though, I dont see why I would. I got just about everything I want now.

i thought that the spider III's were just the same as the spider II's except there were more presets. so you say they sound different alltogether? i see. cool. i might have to check these out! peace:wave:

• Members
My bandmate has the same "Spida" amp, and we love it for recording. It's very convenient for what it does. We recorded this song with the Spida III 75 watt amp.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/sureller/blowtorch.mp3

Very cool man. :thu:

I recorded this one with my original Spider 100 watt:

http://media.putfile.com/Hamer-Cali---Epic-Moment

• Members

I like those tones. actually did sound warm to me.

Yeah i can hear the difference. those amps don't sound warm to me. Peavey, i think that was a cool song though. one thing i really like about that is that it is crunchy as hell.

Thanks. To be honest, I only ever used mine for cleans and high gain tones, which to me were perfectly usable. It was loud as fook too for a 212 amp.

Archived