Grrr.. now I know why I hate trem bridges

Athiest_Peace

• Members

OK So I was sitting here playing on a friends guitar, and a string breaks. No biggie I'm thinking I'll just put on a new string. So anyways.. the frigging ball is caught in the trem block and nothing I do is getting it out. I don't want to mess the guitar up, so whats the easiest way to get the string out without splitting the trem block apart to free it?

• Members

Can't you just feed any small metal object like a screwdriver or even a toothpick into the trem block from the opposite end?

I've tried picks, I've tried small screwdrivers, I've tried strings, I've tried nails...nothing is getting the string loose... I dunno what else to do but wonder how long these strings have been in here.

• Members
I've tried picks, I've tried small screwdrivers, I've tried strings, I've tried nails...nothing is getting the string loose... I dunno what else to do but wonder how long these strings have been in here.

Precision screwdriver + hammer should turn the trick, methinks.

• Members

You are just not trying hard enough. This is too simple an operation no matter how long the strings have been on. Some WD-40, a drill bit and a couple of light taps with a hammer will get that ball busting ball end out there.

Don't come back to this thread unless is to to say you have removed that ball end. Failure is not an option. Now go do it.

• Members

You are just not trying hard enough. This is too simple an operation no matter how long the strings have been on. Some WD-40, a drill bit and a couple of light taps with a hammer will get that ball busting ball end out there.

Don't come back to this thread unless is to to say you have removed that ball end. Failure is not an option. Now go do it.

It isn't my guitar, so I didn't want to destroy anything. We got em out though. Took the brisdge off, unscrewed the trem block from the bridge, and beat..yes beat.a nail thru the string holes with a hammer. All 6 strings were kinda grown in the block, and when I asked how long those strings were on.. i got "I dunno a while" as an answer. Gosh some people just shouldn't be allowed to have guitars.

Archived