Pecking order of guitar manufacturing countries

scolfax

• Members

From what I can gather from various posts, here is a quick-n-dirty pecking order of guitar quality based on where they are manufactured with some rough price points:

USA $600+

Japan $500+

Mexico $400 - $500

Korea $200 - $700

China $100 - $300

Sound about right? Can anyone suggest corrections or fill in any blanks?

Also, it seems to me that you can find excellent guitars from Korea on up, but are there any good/great guitars coming from China?

• Members

one thing to notice..... but probably has nothing to do with your price chart...

lots of high end guitars are made in Japan instead of USA.....

like Ibanez J.Custom, Signature ones, and ESP Japan ones (which i personally think is better than the ESP USA ones.... more choice avaliable too)

• Members

Also, it seems to me that you can find excellent guitars from Korea on up, but are there any good/great guitars coming from China?

What do the prices reflect? The price zone for getting a quality brand new guitar form that country?

• Members

one thing to notice..... but probably has nothing to do with your price chart...

lots of high end guitars are made in Japan instead of USA.....

like Ibanez J.Custom, Signature ones, and ESP Japan ones (which i personally think is better than the ESP USA ones.... more choice avaliable too)

Price chart aside....for me MIJ guitars have the "best" overall quality I think..compared to MIA, MIM, MIK and the rest. Thats just for the Export to the US ones I have owned, played. They had some KILLER domestic only (Japan) guitars the last time I was there. Japan makes great guitars.

• Members

What do the prices reflect? The price zone for getting a quality brand new guitar form that country?

Not necessarily quality. My initial price zone for US is implying that you can't purchase a brand new US made guitar for under $600. I'm not 100% sure this is true though, so hopefully those in the know will offer corrections.

• Members

Not necessarily quality. My initial price zone for US is implying that you can't purchase a brand new US made guitar for under $600. I'm not 100% sure this is true though, so hopefully those in the know will offer corrections.

For brand new they have the Gibson MM that just came out for like $350-$400. Thats the only one I can think of off-hand.

• Members

I kind of agree but would adjust it to say:

USA $600+

Japan $500+

Mexico $400 - $500

Korea $200 - $850

China $100 - $600

Indonesia $80 - $200

I think you underestimate the Chinese guitars. There are some pretty good ones coming in now and the prices for some Chinese guitars are increasing.

• Members

You missed India.

And I think China is hell bent on upsetting the pecking order this year.

Now that you can just "plop" the high tec' machines any old place things are def' changing all over. Seems the main issue holding back the new "plants" on the block is the Quality of the woods being used rather than the building process. That and the marketing.

• Members

Missing from the list is Canada or, in the case of Godin, a hybrid Canada/USA country of origin (Canadian parts, USA assembly).

Although it's difficult to place a generic price of said hybrid-manufacture guitars, my experience has been that they're well below similar USA counterparts yet with quality similar to or higher than USA-made guitars.

• Members

Here's the updated list from your comments, with some typical brands added:

Japan $500+

USA $500+ (Gibson, Fender, PRS) [Gibson Melody Maker = anomaly]

Canada $360+ (Godin)

Mexico $400 - $600 (Fender)

Korea $200 - $700 (Epiphone, Agile, Xaviere, PRS SE)

China $100 - $300 (Gibson knockoffs) [Eastman = anomaly]

Indonesia $100-200? (?)

India $100-200? (?)

Vietnam $100-200? (?)

I've marked a couple entries as anomaly's, since they seem outside of their respective price ranges.

OT, what makes the Gibson MM an order of magnitude cheaper to manufacture than a Les Paul Studio?

• Members

Thanks, I was looking for corrections. Can you give me an example?

I would abolish the pricing completely. It relies on far too many generalities, will get outdated very very quickly... And with the used market being so big in the guitar world, it can be tossed straight out the window for a huge portion of guitar buyers.

You'd have to manage your list like the Blue Book if you want to try to be guide to guitar pricing...

• Members

I think it can be safely said that most mass-produced guitars manufactured in the USA are "better" than most mass-produced guitars manufactured in China. I'm trying to find other generalities like this within a narrower range. For example, based on the collective knowledge of HCEG, despite China's rising quality, Korean guitars are generally thought to be superior.

I think a list like this would be useful for new guitar buyers. Because of the way guitars are marketed, and assuming that you can come to reasonable conclusions from a list like this, it would be more important to know if your Ibanez RG was made in Korea or Indonesia, than the price and features of that guitar.

I removed the prices, but I think I was hoping for a way to compare, say, a cheap Mexican guitar vs. an expensive Korean guitar.

I know that every guitar is different, and that wood quality and setup are critical. I am not looking for a Unified Therory, just a reasonable ballpark.

Japan

USA

Canada

Mexico

Korea

China

Indonesia

India

Vietnam

• Members

I think the price can be anything. Lakland Skyline basses (made in Korea) cost around $1400 usually. As I see it, some countries have cheaper labor than others, but you use quality parts and well trained staff and you can build a great instrument in any country.

All I'm saying is you can't judge a guitar's quality by its country of origin. If gibson wants to make a cheap guitar with cheap wood and cheap hardware and electronics in China, don't associate China with the quality of the instrument. Its gibson that tells them how and what to build.

But they could build the same cheap guitar in the US, but with higher labor costs it might not sell as well since it would be more $$$. Just the same, a high quality guitar can be built in Korea or any other country, if thats what the company wants to make.

I think companies always build their highest quality instruments in their local country because people are always willing to pay a premium for that, but after that I'd have to say it varies by brand. Fender might build cheaper guitars in one country and much cheaper guitars in another, but a different company could have set their factories up differently.

• Members

Believe it or not ... I've seen Vietnamese guitars in the States. Guess labor is getting too expensive in Indonesia?

Why doesn't that make sense? Guitar making today is more about engineering than heritage, and what Korea lacks in heritage, it doubtless more than makes up for with engineering. :thu:

Archived