How many owners of Yamaha SA2200 on this board?

Berndt111

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by "splittable P-90's" but nonetheless that guitar looks like a stunner. I prefer the look and style of the SA2200 but that's really just a taste. Congrats on the nice buy, Electric Blues!

They're P90 sized humbuckers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went to the yamaha.com web site today, and selected US as I generally do for the most complete info (that I can read). And what do I see? The SBG1000 and SBG2000 are now displayed here! They must hit the US market soon then! I look forward to hearing some review on here before long.

• Members

The SBG1000 and SBG2000 are now displayed here! They must hit the US market soon then! I look forward to hearing some review on here before long.

I read somewhere on this forum that they are made to the specs of the original and that they are hand-made by those incredible Japanese luthiers from Yamaha. The price tag is supposed to be accordingly high but this is the chance to own the "real thing" (almost) for those of us who were old enough to buy it in the early 80's but missed the boat.

• Members

I read somewhere on this forum that they are made to the specs of the original and that they are hand-made by those incredible Japanese luthiers from Yamaha. The price tag is supposed to be accordingly high but this is the chance to own the "real thing" (almost) for those of us who were old enough to buy it in the early 80's but missed the boat.

Hi JKater. Yes, that's exactly what it says on the web site. Since seeing it yesterday, it is starting to become clearer to me what is understood by the expression: "Initial Response Acceleration." This appears to be the only novelty - oh, and then on a Danish web site it was stated that they are now made from lighter wood than what was used earlier. It is supposed to be a good thing. I trust this is our boat? :)

• Members

That AES1500 is starting to grow on me...

I think I would go for one of the top end Yamahas. It is clear that they are in the major league as far as quality is concerned.

...and as was mentioned in another recent Yamaha thread, the high end instruments offer the most "bang for your buck".

Everyone seemed to agree that the low priced Pacifica line is a good deal. Not many were convinced of the middle priced line since it's where most brands face the toughest competition. Some posters said that the best bet were the high priced, made in Japan instruments, since they compete in quality with many other "Top End" brands, but at a lower cost. I really wouldn't know and can only tell you I enjoy my AES1500 very much.

If you think the orange color is a bit too much, it is available in Black too.

• Members

If you think the orange color is a bit too much, it is available in Black too.

I think the orange color fits this type of guitar which has a gretsch vibe to it. The web site says the top is "sycomore". Is this a soft, resonnant wood like spruce or cedar?

• Members

I think it's a cheaper alternative to maple but I'm not sure.

Mine has some very nice subtle flame on it so I would say it's just plain maple. Maybe Sycomore has flames too?

Sycamore is not a cheap alternative to anything and I might add that the Japanese Yamaha top models use no cheaper woods (Natowood and such) like they sometimes use for middle range models in the Taiwan factory. The SA2200's neck, for example, is honduras mahogany and all other materials are very high quality. The AES1500 is priced about the same as the SA2200 (+/- a couple hundred bucks) and you can be absolutely sure you have top quality materials there.

My Yamaha catalogue says the AES1500's body is figured maple while the AES1500B (with the Bigsby) is sycamore top and maple back and sides. Your pick-ups are Di Marzio Q100. The AES1500 has the longer scale 25 1/2 ", the SA2200 has 24 3/4".

• Members

Hi JKater. Yes, that's exactly what it says on
the web site
. Since seeing it yesterday, it is starting to become clearer to me what is understood by the expression: "Initial Response Acceleration." This appears to be the only novelty - oh, and then on a Danish web site it was stated that they are now made from lighter wood than what was used earlier. It is supposed to be a good thing. I trust this is our boat?
:)

It looks very nice but I can't see clearly if the top is two or three pieces maple. To me, a "real" SG2000 is the three piece top. It was not done to use bits of wood lying around but had a purpose and was a well thought design. Here is an add from the time :

SG2000ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Another happy owner of a SA2200. I think everything has been already said. Wonderful guitar, comfortable neck, veeeeeeery nice sound, flawless finish, etc etc etc etc

Here is my actual contribution to this thread, an image of my brown sunburst Yamaha:

1172184842.jpg

• Members

Another happy owner of a SA2200. I think everything has been already said. Wonderful guitar, comfortable neck, veeeeeeery nice sound, flawless finish, etc etc etc etc

Here is my actual contribution to this thread, an image of my brown sunburst Yamaha:

1172184842.jpg

Very nice! I find the brown sunburst SA2200 has a more traditionnal color than the VS. Your guitar looks great. Thanks for posting!

• Members

Very nice! I find the brown sunburst SA2200 has a more traditionnal color than the VS. Your guitar looks great. Thanks for posting!

The brown sunburst version is not very usual. Fortunately, I found one in a local store here in Barcelona, so i could compare both finishes. As you say, the brown sunburst is more traditional. It's the color you expect from a 335 style guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just hoping to re-kindle our discussion of the beloved SA2200...

Chibisamu, the brown-burst finish is so classy. I would take it over the violin burst (though the latter is beautiful too).

I have compared my SA2200 to some Gibson ES-335 examples, and I must say that it more than holds its own against them. For starters, the sound of the SA2200 is gorgeous. (Gibson set the standard long ago, but it's nice when others can reach it at lower cost.) Also, the construction of the SA2200 is probably more like the earlier (1950s & 60s) 335/355's than the more recent ones (Memphis models anyway). The odd thing in my mind is how Yamaha still puts a volute on the neck.

But take a look at the neck tenon in my SA2200. Definitely more like the older Gibson version.

sa2200-tenon-close.jpg

Also of note is the size of the hole that the pickup wire passes through. It is barely wider than the wire itself. Gibson-Memphis removes a large chunk of the maple block, ostensibly to make it easire to deal with the wiring. In the 70's, sometimes the block actually consisted of two uncontinuous blocks, one of mahogany, the other of maple. I guess Yamaha tried to go back closer to the original Gibby recipe. If they ever decide to use nitro finish, they'd probably really get the Gibby fans' notice.

• Members

Great pic there, Gadzooka. Is it long enough to be a long neck tenon? (I don't know.) When did you buy yours? I got mine, straight from Japan via Germany, in November 2005.

Yes, that tenon is similar to what Gibson refers to as "long". Though, from the 19th fret, it is no great distance! My guitar's tenon does not appear to be the tightest fit on one side, at least at the bottom. Some Gibsons have a narrower tenon, though just as long, while other (Norlin era for sure) have a shorter tenon that does not reach the pickup cavity.

I bought my SA2200 on eBay this year. The serial number is something like QKI020I. It does not check out on the Yamaha serial search engine. If I replace the "I" characters with "1", then it comes up as a year 2000 model.

• Members

Thank you for the pics, Gadzooka. I also had a look at the cavity on my SA2200. Mine looked different : I did not see that thing on the one side. Mine looked thighter. Is that an actual gap or is it just a difference in thickness that makes it look like that? Do you feel it's solid nonetheless?

• Members

I looked at the cavity for "academic interest", if you will. The pickups are stock (and I like them).

I happen to like the Les Paul forum, where Gibson construction methods and specs like long vs. short tenons are a major topic of discussion. I realized that while Gibson charges a lot for the name, they also charge MORE for things like the "long" tenon, which is nothing more than an original spec that they got away from. These days, a long, wide tenon is something "extra" on a Gibson. So, I took a look at my Yamaha to discover that they're apparently doing it without advertising the fact. Kudos to Yamaha.

Archived