Jimmy Page being discredited

Ra_

• Members

You're right; Star Wars owes a lot of its character development to Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

Kurosawa has been "borrowed from" many times. A Fistful of Dollars is a reworking of Kurosawa's Yojimbo. The Seven Samurai was redone in Hollywood as The Magnificent Seven.

OT: Star Wars characters owe a lot to the Lord Of The Rings: http://www.spookybug.com/origins/lotr.html

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they said that the dude from Spirit is dead

and that his Mother is trying to get something going?

Ya, The "main dude" of Spirit (Randy California) died in the late 90's. I didnt know if him or anyone else from the band had said anything. They sure have had a ong time to if they havent already.

• Members
This thread = dog ca ca

History of music = imitate, change, compose

ever hear a composition based on a I IV V or a II V I or a I vi II V ?

Here's a better question: which band that has made it big, if you were to look at their influences
hasn't
melded songs from those influences into their repertoire?

:blah:
:blah:
:blah::rolleyes:

Good summary. :thu:

:wave:

• Members
Wow! You can make a list of random bands!

:rolleyes:

Give us the songs, and the songs those artists ripped off, for our consideration... otherwise, that list means nothing.

Here's a list of bands who have never ripped off a single note (without any proof to back my statement up):

Nickleback, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Bobby McFerrin, Wayne Newton, Newt Gingrich, Morrissey, Olivia, Newt, and John, The Army of Lovers, Winger, Warrant, and The impotent Sea Snakes.

Funny, they all suck except for Warrant, and they only have a few sweet songs.

:rolleyes:

• Members

This article is a pretty good overview.

I haven't read it for a few years, probably covers the same stuff as this radio interview. I don't really think it takes much away from Zeppelin, but it is criminal that they stole royalties from people for so long.

I have the original version of Dazed and Confused on a Jimmy Page session man bootleg, it's really similar, but seems like something they had heard and half remembered, it's a pretty cool song, very different, but obviously the same at the same time.

... yeah, "Dazed and Confused" (for which I've never understood it's appeal, as I find it one of the most boring songs in their catalog) is not so much 'borrowed' as it is a direct cover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazed_and_Confused_(song)

• Members

Copping a song and taking a song and making it different, ex: stairway's opening chords, are very different. Assuming that Page didn't have anything to do with the opening riff is ridiculous, and I would be insulted if someone said I didn't write something because it sounds like an earlier song or uses the same progression.

Sucks for all of the musicians that used the 12 bar blues after it was done once, I guess you're all hacks now. :rolleyes:

• Members

Plagiarism: Stealing from one source.

Research: Stealing from many sources.

Page knew he was lifting from other people, just like lots of musicians have done before him. As has been said before, no music is new. If you're playing rock, and especially blues, everything that you play has been borrowed from somewhere else. No surprises there. The difference, as described in the article dujo linked to earlier, is that Jimmy received writing credit for the songs in question as opposed to them being called "Traditional: Arranged by Jimmy Page". This doesn't discredit him from being a wonderful song arranger, composer or player, so this whole thing about kicking him out of the Hall of Fame is stupid. However, if "traditional" really wants royalties, I think Jimmy should hand them over. I really don't see that happening though.

• Members

That article was bull{censored} anyway, not particularly objective

It is not objective, however it still makes good points. Page definitely has lifted things from other over time, there's no denying that. The article speaks to whether or not he should be given writing credit for these songs as opposed to them being kept as "Traditional" songs, whether or not he "stole" things from other to the extent that the article may be implying.

• Members

Jeeezzzzzuuussss... this {censored} comes up every now and again: People--it's BLUES music, specifically blues lyrics. It had been done a million times before Zeppelin; it just so happens that Willie Dixon put his name on it. You can go through Muddy's stuff and hear pieces of lyrics, verses, etc. from older blues songs. It's the nature of the form. Copyright law doesn't recognize oral traditions.

Plus, I don't know why Page gets the blame for it when, if you heard just the music, you'd never, ever pick it out. Plant should be getting this flack. The most obvious example is Whole Lotta Love and You Need Love; the lyrics are nearly identical but Muddy couldn't and wouldn't have played like Zeppelin.

• Members

I guess you have to expect this when young prettyboy englishmen take the blues, add a new coat of fuzz, acceptable white faces and are able to elevate themselves to levels of wealth rivaled by royal families.

Yes, everyone plagarises, the only thing that affects accountability in this case is the accounting.

Archived