Japanese Guitars (which one to GAS for)

dilin

• Members

Rule of thumb; Y100 = US$1 (exchange rates fluctuate, but the Japanese think of it this way when spending), so the Burnys are about $1000-$1500 bux. You could probably get a Gibson LP for that, but I'd expect that the jap guitars would be a better value new.

• Members

Rule of thumb; Y100 = US$1 (exchange rates fluctuate, but the Japanese think of it this way when spending), so the Burnys are about $1000-$1500 bux. You could probably get a Gibson LP for that, but I'd expect that the jap guitars would be a better value new.

105000 yen = $899.43 U.S. per yahoo currency converter.

Then figure about 20% off list. Roughly around $720 for the RLG-105.

• Members

what about the new grecos then? will it be cheaper to ask a dealer to ship it in or to ship it from ishibashi myself?

I believe that the new Grecos are made in Korea...if it was me I'd go with a good used MIJ Greco, Burny, Orville or Tokai...or I'd order a new Edwards Les Paul which is made in Japan, you can get one from Ishibashi for under $700 shipping included...here's on on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDWARDS-LES-PAUL-FLAMETOP-Orville-strings_W0QQitemZ140096917393QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

??haven`t seen a 2007 Greco catalog yet so I can`t say which are MIJ. In the new Fernandes catalog, very few models ...only the top ends...ane now MIJ. They yen has been around 115-118/US recently. If you`re going to buy from Japan, keep an eye open for used Bacchus, Ornettes or Edwards Les Paul types...all excellent guitars.

• Members

I have the 2007 Fernandes catalog...on page 7, the RLC and the RLG are listed as being MIJ...says so under the price/model number. The JPCs are listed as Japan Premium, which I assume also means MIJ. The Hide artist madel at 340,ooo yen doesn`t say it`s made here in English like the other models...I`ll ask my wife tonight if theres info an where his are made.

• Members

Hi,

Thats great for the Japanese market. Unfortunately dealers of Fernandes outside of Japan (that would be me for Australia) only get access to the US Catalogue and only the JPC's are Japanese.

But it is great to know that information and would be fantastic to have it confirmed.

I have spoken with a few reps from Fernandes Japan and they mentioned that all Fernandes and Burny models (apart from a few signatures) are made in China now.

Although the Chinese guitars are mostly great I would hope you are correct and there are still some burnys made in Japan.

Cheers
www.guitarcolonel.com

• Members

I'm a big fan of current Tokais - they're made in both Korea and Japan - usually obvious which are which by price. The Koreans are very competitive and fine guitars, unless you're a purist that gets upset by an alder bodied / maple necked LP (personally, I don't care as long as it sounds good). Compare well to Epiphone - a lot of folks will say that the Tokais have better fit and finish; if I wanted to spend at that level, I'd be trying both and seeing which one of either bit me. That said, right across the board Tokai beat Epi and most of the big names for lefty availability - any guitar, any finish, throughout the entire range, to order lefty at no extra charge. Can't beat that. The MIJ Tokais are stunning. All "correct" woods (they actually do an LP Custom type that is more historically accurate than the Gibson model), great pups. I have my eye on eventually buying a white MIJ custom style, which retails for around the street price of a Gibson Studio.

• Members
Hi,

Thats great for the Japanese market. Unfortunately dealers of Fernandes outside of Japan (that would be me for Australia) only get access to the US Catalogue and only the JPC's are Japanese.

But it is great to know that information and would be fantastic to have it confirmed.

I have spoken with a few reps from Fernandes Japan and they mentioned that all Fernandes and Burny models (apart from a few signatures) are made in China now.

Although the Chinese guitars are mostly great I would hope you are correct and there are still some burnys made in Japan.

Cheers

www.guitarcolonel.com

confirm it for yourself...get your reps to send you a 2007 Japanese catalog...but if you can`t get them anyways, doesn`t matter does it? I figure since the catalogs state the models I mentioned are MIJ...they are...I reckon they should know. The reps you spoke to are from Japan?
Kherman also mentioned the same MIJ models as I have.

• Members

as with most Japanese builders, the model number translates to price in thousands of yen...the two Burnys mantioned...RLC-115 sells for 115,ooo yen and the RLG-105 goes for 105,ooo. Top end non MIJ is priced at 70,ooo...and personally I can`t see them selling many of those as the MIJ Edwards sell for about the same price with better electronics, wood and p`ups...at least they won`t be selling them to me. I`m quite happy with my Edwards...in fact I own so many exceptional samples of Japanese guitars that if I never buy another, I wouldn`t complain. Still keep looking though.

• Members

I don`t think American companies can sue Japanese builders unless they try to export their precise headstock copies to America...and anyways, not like the Japanese give a rats ass what foreigners think. If US builders had the power to stop copies over here...they`d have done it a long time ago...and they`d have to stop almost everybody and that would bring the Japanese guitar business to a screaching halt. It`s hard to find anything negative written about the Edwards on the web, seems the vast majority of owners really love them for what they are, and they`re really getting confident in their guitars because they`ve recently made some models that costy well over $1000.oo US...which is entering the used guitar market of the US big two...I see used Gibson standards for about the same amount in local shops now. And thats why I have been buying used guitars only for the past several years...last new one was a Godin with the P-90s for like $240.oo in January of 2006...just too good to pass up...but 99.9% used for me, and the hunt is as much fun as the acquisition .

• Members

So do Edwards have a distributor and/or dealer network in the US? I guess not then:confused:

There was talk that bmusic in Australia had the Edwards coming in...not sure on the update.

I have a Gibson LTD LP JR SP Japan Edition (think just the colour is only dif) with the p90's arriving soon...looking forward to trying that out.

I need to get over to Tokyo again soon

• Members

Burnys haven't seen much action since the early 90's. And from what I've read on the net, the quality of the guitars have gone down a bit but are still pretty good guitars. Anyways, from the older ones I have played, they're exceptional and better valued than nowaday-Edwards (in my opinion).

Although if you like shiney and nice, you should definetly get a new Edwards.

• Members

wouldn`t know about American distributers...I`m Canadian. One of the problems with old Burnys is...no serial numbers, and no shortage of folks taking advantage of the huge interest in older MIJs over the past few years...lots of sellers think anything old is collectable...or good...not always the case. Could be the slow down in the Burny action coincides with the fact that they moved production outside the country...and competition for entry level instruments in Japan is fierce...a LOT to choose from. Edwards does make some guitars that have a matte finish with flat hardware...what they call the half-glossy finish. Some folks like em shiney, some like em reliced...personally, I couldn`t care less what a player chooses...it`s all good, whatever gets a guy playing...it`s no business of mine. I have some shiney guitars and certainly don`t shy away from from a guitar that has battle scars, got my Tokai strat for about $200.oo because it was dinged up but actually...just hurts less when I put the first, inevitable ding in myself. I have quite a few early FJs that were loved by others before I got em, and they still play and sound great. Greco had a reliced guitar years before Fender " got the idea"...the debate rages on about reliced and non reliced...who cares.

Archived