So, this is interesting (to me at least)

Kramerguy

• Members

What about doing a multi-band rotation of something? might be more than you'd want to bite off as you've got more spoons in the pot and the hassle factor could go up but maybe it'd reduce single band burnout and ease the lease pressures a bit.

• Members

What about doing a multi-band rotation of something? might be more than you'd want to bite off as you've got more spoons in the pot and the hassle factor could go up but maybe it'd reduce single band burnout and ease the lease pressures a bit.

that's a good idea, split the costs.

I'd be worried about them stealing my thunder though lol. Yes. It would be painful to watch another band steamroll past :( I don't think I could share lol.

• Members

just show up at their times and fart in the crowd. ;)

Id expect friction around peach performance times and all that. Like any business you'd have to work that out, maybe it's worth it, maybe not.

Maybe to the rotation thing for a month or whatever to see if the basic idea has any legs in your situation anyway - just spitballing

• Members

So make sure you have killer songs. Then make sure you have a world class performance. THEN worry about all these crazy promotion ideas. You can't build a building from the roof down.

Nah, I prefer to just put out {censored}ty music that nobody wants to hear, and we won't bother trying to actually play it well either :rolleyes:

• Members

The reason Swift did malls is the reason anyone does malls....tweens were her demo and that is where you find them.

But a buzz was created, and Nashville took notice and gave her the best deal. After her dad went fishing with the right people, of course. They took her stuff and molded it to fit the country 'tween and 20's markets. She was willing to do what she was told, she fit the bill, and the market was ready.....

kramerguy- Leasing space at a mall with good foot traffic can be pretty expensive. A kiosk at a busy mall can run into the thousands.....

I think you are thinking about that dreaded word "exposure". The idea that the more folks you can get in front of the better. If you just want to get in front of folks, make a list of 100 places that people in your artists' primary demo gather.

And when trying to decide which places to play, consider this: in advertising there is a term called CPM. CPM stands for cost per thousand and refers to the cost of reaching 1k people. I'd use that as your guidepost as to whether any "exposure" prospect is viable.

And if the mall is cost effective....go for it dude. I love the fact that you are working hard for your artist.

• Members

What about 'spreading the love' and seeing if U can do non-trad little micro-shows in the mall -- maybe near, in front of this or that store having a sale or something -- be the mall's musical version of a blue-light special!.

Same basic audience at least. you'd probably have to be set for a real small stage footprint and real fast set-up/tear down.

I'm not sold on that idea either, just spitballin.

It seems like for playing regularly in the single storefront spot you are going to need a pretty deep repertoire book to keep it decently fresh. I'm still thinking Taylor might have been more cutting her teeth than building a fanbase and if she was doing karaoke to backing tracks she could probably work up songs pretty quickly or maybe that was part of what she was training for - dropping in as frontwoman on the bounce

Archived