Uninspiring guitar: trade or modify

LAracer

• Members

Ok, I installed the Dream 90 (neck) and Dream 180 (bridge) last night. The difference isn't as spectacular as I'd hoped. The D180 is actually a noticeable improvement, but the D90 isn't as "woody" as I'd hoped. I'm beginning to think that the placement of the neck pickup on this (24 fret) guitar just isn't as far from the bridge as it needs to be for that tone.

Anyway, here's clips (recorded w/ GNX4):

Read this first: All the clips are recorded with the stock pickups on the left channel and GFS pickups on the right, so you can just pan to compare them (prolly won't sound good through both speakers at once). For the first 4 clips I cycle through neck, middle, and bridge positions. The last two were just for fun & don't sound that much different to me. ...and don't complain about my playing - you get what you pay for :)

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/open_strings04.mp3
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/clean_01.mp3
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/ovrdrvn03.mp3
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/numb02.mp3
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/comfortablynumb.mp3
http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/106/strang_brew.mp3

So there you go. I feel like the bridge is an improvement, but I'd still prefer a tele I think. Maybe I'll put this thing up in the spam thread every once in a while. I don't hate it though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the GFS clearly sound better. More open and articulate. I hate that I had to use that word. The stockers sound,, uh cheap and one note-ish.

If this is not the sound you are looking for, what do you want?

I recently put in GFS Fat PAFs and can tell you that they are much warmer sounding than that. Is that what you are after? Bigger, rounder? or raunchy? edgy?

You might be right about the 24th fret sound. I've always believed that one.

BTW, the guitar is beautiful.

• Members

I think the GFS clearly sound better. More open and articulate. I hate that I had to use that word. The stockers sound,, uh cheap and one note-ish.

This is my impression too; I guess I was just hoping for a bigger difference. Well, actually, I'm alot more pleased with the Dream180 in the bridge than I thought I'd be. The main point of replacing pickups was to get a P90 in the neck, but I thought I'd change the bridge pup while I was at it. So I'm a bit dissapointed that the neck is still a little tame, but the bridge is better than I hoped for. I really like how its pretty nasty (in the good way) sounding. To my ear it sounds a bit vintage SG-ish.

The Dream 90 isn't bad. It is an improvement over the stock pups, but I think it might sound much better in a 22 fret guitar.

Any other opinions about this 24-fret issue?

• Members

This is my impression too; I guess I was just hoping for a bigger difference. Well, actually, I'm alot more pleased with the Dream180 in the bridge than I thought I'd be. The main point of replacing pickups was to get a P90 in the neck, but I thought I'd change the bridge pup while I was at it. So I'm a bit dissapointed that the neck is still a little tame, but the bridge is better than I hoped for. I really like how its pretty nasty (in the good way) sounding. To my ear it sounds a bit vintage SG-ish.

The Dream 90 isn't
bad
. It
is
an improvement over the stock pups, but I think it might sound much better in a 22 fret guitar.

Any other opinions about this 24-fret issue?

I'd say get a Pearly gates neck and custom bridge:thu:

• Members

i would try out some other schecter C-1's. As i said i've pretty much owned all the c-1s and the elite was definitely my least favorite. It almost seemed cheap compared to my other c-1's too. Could just be the finish i dunno. The classic and exotic being my favorite 2, then hellraiser then blackjack. Although the exotic i have is a rare neck through where most are set necks so i can't say for sure if the regular exotic is as nice

• Members

i would try out some other schecter C-1's. As i said i've pretty much owned all the c-1s and the elite was definitely my least favorite. It almost seemed cheap compared to my other c-1's too. Could just be the finish i dunno. The classic and exotic being my favorite 2, then hellraiser then blackjack. Although the exotic i have is a rare neck through where most are set necks so i can't say for sure if the regular exotic is as nice

Well, I handpicked this elite out of all the Schecters at GC. It was hanging up high so it hadn't been abused too much, and it had a good setup which made it feel better too. There is nothing wrong with the guitar. I guess it just feels like it doesn't have much soul or something. But then again, neither does my playing so...

Still, the Dream 180 in the bridge really does seem to give the guitar a bit of a bite, which is nice.

• Members

no the guitar feels fine, but when i play it for some reason i get this "no soul" feeling and sound also. I obviously picked mine out of all the other schecters when i bought mine too, but after owning it for a while i started to notice what you are talking about. I just wasn't happy with it. Try a C-1 Classic, i mean REALLY sit down and play it for a while. I put off owning one for so long because i wasn't into the inlay, and i REALLY screwed myself out of a great guitar for so long!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Update: Just thought I'd let you all know I sold the Schecter (shipped it today). It really was a great guitar, and hopefully the new owner will bond with it. I just really want a tele, and I can't justify owning 4 guitars (due to a complete lack of talent).

I'm going to GC this weekend to find a tele.

Archived