New Favorite Epi: Les Paul Ultra -- Wow

curseoftruth

• Members

Went to GC tonight and played a number of things. Nothing really doing it for me, the Fender Jaguar HH didn't seem as good as last time when I played one. They had a used ESP LTD Viper 300 (EMG HZ pups) that was beat up but played really nice and sounded pretty good actually. There was a trashed Fender Aeodyne Tele (P90 Neck) that played and sounded great, just a lot of issues with it though (beat up, electronics). Started to rain hard so I decided to stay a while longer see what else they had -- then I saw a beautiful Epi LP Ultra. Looked nice, remembered it was chambered, so I picked it up and it weighed freaking nothing! All you who bitch about heavy LPs, try this out.

What I really liked was the nicely finished body (HCSB) with a figured top but the neck and headstock were faded (unfinished basically) and it made for a super playing neck. The neck, the looks, the weight, the body finish -- damn, good so far. Even the gold hardware looked great on it. Plug it into a Marshall, and the first thing I notice are how bad the stock strings just suck. Had 9s on it and prefer 10s. The thing sounded great, not as good as an expensive Gibson cousin, but really good none the less. The bridge pup was nice and bright and sounded excellent clean. I'm a neck player for the most part and the neck was good, but I do prefer more of a vintage, darker, woody tone. The build, just wonderful -- perfect guitar build wise and quality seemed excellent.

But now I have my new favorite Epi LP! GAS is back on (been off for a while). I think I'll put a 57 Classic in the neck (or other PAFish pup) and be very happy. Gotta figure what I want to sell to get one now!!

Specs:

Body-contoured mahogany back

Weight relief cavities and is made from choice wood

Alnico Classic

Gold hardware

Grover tuners

Angled headstock and slightly narrower nut

Set mahogany neck w/ rosewood fretboard and trapezoid inlays.

Mahogany body with choice maple top

Set mahogany neck

Tune-o-matic stopbar tailpiece

This picture does not do it justice at all:

230732.jpg

• Members

SOmeone just posted a few days ago that they got an Ultra, and they loved it. The pic was real nice too. I have to say I am intrigued, though I don't need it. But I say go for it! I wonder why they don't offer it in a couple more colors. It is really a modern take on an old design in some ways.

• Members

I think Epiphone makes a really nice Product. I have the LP standard and think its great.
I tried out a black beauty a few days ago and now have the hots for it. I played a black custom today it it feels as nice as the Beauty.

the finish/body and neck are really nice. a 490 and a 500 and some pearloid tuning pegs and you got yourself a guitar that is as close as you can get to a "real" gibson, if you like that sort of thing

• Members

I am a huge Epi fan, my no. 1 is a 1999 MIK Epi Les Paul Custom with Gibson 500T/496R ceramic pups in it. Thing is built like a rock. I've recorded two CDs with it, gigged it probably a 100 or more times, and play it almost everyday.

I will own one of the Ultras, always wanted a sunburst LP!

Archived