What GFS pickups are similiar in sound to SD Alnico II Pro's?

BlueTimber

• Members

Look...

They don't have any humbuckers with Alnico 2 magnets, as far as I can tell.

So, the short answer is none.

The long answer is that there may be some approximation that you can be happy with. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what you're going for. You didn't specify in your post.

So, if you want Slash (and you may not), than I would say that you could probably find yourself happy as a clam with the Fat PAF. I certainly like the one I have. It is a ripping pickups that sounds great clean and dirty. It's edge is a little sharper than the alnico 2 pickup I have in my Les Paul, however.

All in all, though, I don't play G&R?Velvet Revolver and cannot give you an exact answer in that direction. What I can say is: depending on how dark the guitar is that you put it into, this pickup is an excellent sound and value.

The Dream 90 is great too. It doesn't really sound exactly like a humbucker, though. It does have some of the softer feel of an alnico 2 (at least in my application).

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I figure that even if you can only afford one every once in a while, it's worth trying a whole bunch of them. I've learned a lot about how pickups affect my playing and how different they can sound in one guitar from another (even when they are in the same kind of wood combinations).

Just try one of them...

Z

• Members

Look...

They don't have any humbuckers with Alnico 2 magnets, as far as I can tell.

So, the short answer is none.

The long answer is that there may be some approximation that you can be happy with. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what you're going for. You didn't specify in your post.

So, if you want Slash (and you may not), than I would say that you could probably find yourself happy as a clam with the Fat PAF. I certainly like the one I have. It is a ripping pickups that sounds great clean and dirty. It's edge is a little sharper than the alnico 2 pickup I have in my Les Paul, however.

All in all, though, I don't play G&R?Velvet Revolver and cannot give you an exact answer in that direction. What I can say is: depending on how dark the guitar is that you put it into, this pickup is an excellent sound and value.

The Dream 90 is great too. It doesn't really sound exactly like a humbucker, though. It does have some of the softer feel of an alnico 2 (at least in my application).

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I figure that even if you can only afford one every once in a while, it's worth trying a whole bunch of them. I've learned a lot about how pickups affect my playing and how different they can sound in one guitar from another (even when they are in the same kind of wood combinations).

Just try one of them...

Z

I think you handled that very well........

As far as I know, the only GFS p/ups with alnico II magnets are one of their Strat sets. I know this because I e-mailed Dave the other day looking for Alnico II p/ups for my Tele.

I don't know what kind of music you play etc, etc, etc, but if you take two minutes and e-mail Jay or Dave they will try and help you.

I've tried out/used/kept a lot of their pickups and have only sent back two sets I didn't like....excluding their "blowout" pickups...I haven't tried any of those.

• Members

I think that Nevermind's idea might get you really close (depending on their quality).

For the GFS stuff, I bet you couldn't really go wrong with the Fat PAF or the plain PAF. The PAF style humbuckers are always super versatile. You cannot really go wrong. The GFS credo seems to be that this is the best place to start and then go from there.

I, personally, would go for one of these two and try some of the others later. The price is right, after all.

Good luck for your adventure.

Z

• Members

Alnico 2 is a magnet. Alnico 5 are more modern sounding. Ceramics are the highest output and are (IMO) most useful for metal styles.

All three can be used for whatever depending on the sound you want, but nothing can beat a bit of experimentation on your part.

Z

• Members

Alnico 2 is a magnet. Alnico 5 are more modern sounding. Ceramics are the highest output and are (IMO) most useful for metal styles.

All three can be used for whatever depending on the sound you want, but nothing can beat a bit of experimentation on your part.

Z

neo is a far stronger material and I believe a few makers are starting to use it for pickups.

• Members

"Alnico II magnets are the musical magnets. Their softer magnetic field provides a warmer, sweeter tone and eliminates the brittle, glassy sound associated with newer instruments. The result is a more natural string vibration for true tones with greater sustain"

Archived