Best tips for guitar players?

sheepeH

• Members

tune by ear a lot

I don't think this is necessary at all with electronic tuners. Better advice is to always play in tune, and after you've done that for awhile you'll know exactly when something's off. I've spent many happy moments waiting for some schmuck fiddling with his tuners aimlessly because he wanted to do it by ear. Do it by ear on your time if you want. Otherwise plug into a tuner and get on with it.

• Members

Playing with a metronome may be good for you but its boring. I recommend playing to something with a steady beat you can enjoy instead. Software programs such as Acid or Live are great for creating backing drum tracks (and/or with other instruments) in various keys and tempos. Another option is a drum machine.

• Members

1. PRACTICE, Practice, practice, then practice some more.

2. Play with other musicians. other guitarists, drummers, bassists, keybordists, whatever. Practice can only get you so far, playing with other people can get you the rest of the way.

3. Be Ambitious. Try hard songs even if they sound waaay above your skill level. I tried to learn eruption after playing electric guitar for about 6 months. I sorta learned to do it. (not well, but I learned a ton while doing it. now its easy.)

4. Consider taking lessons.

• Members

What others have said: Practice, and see if you can practice with a metronome set in different speeds.

Don't get caught up with "G.A.S.": Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Don't worry about certain guitars, amps, or effects that "supposedly" sounds good. Tone is in the fingers.

Again, just practice...

• Members

i've always found that learning some of your favorite music, whether it's a rhythm track or a solo or whatever, by ear is a great way to come to understand what the instrument can do. this isn't the end-all, but a good idea i haven't seen mentioned yet.

• Members

Guitar players (of which I am one) are a dime a dozen. Concentrate not only on being a good guitar player, but a good musician.

Having good vocal chops, both lead vocals, and the ability to harmonize (not just double the vocal but actually harmonize with the lead vocal) will take you a very long way.

As far as guitar playing goes, worry about being a good rhythm player first. I can play lead (I'm nothing special, but I get by) but it's my rhythm playing (and vocals...)that gets me gigs.

Also acting like a responsible adult when you are in a band will give you a leg up over the competition. That means showing up on time, with the songs learned and having a good attitude about it all.

I'm not a particularly great at any of these these things I've mentioned (except for the responsible adult part...), but I always seem to have a gig, so it must mean something.

• Members

wee, thanks for all the tips.

you know, recently Ive noticed that my improvisation skills lack a bit of "color"

I have been using only pentatonics scales and sometimes they phrygian mode but It almost always sounds not in place. any tips for improving improvising? (besides hearing more music, that actually helps but not always I can get what I hear to what I'm playing)

• Moderators

I second the suggestion not to buy into the distinction between "lead" and "rhythm" guitar. To be a good player, you'll need both. Plus, rhythm guitar can be a lot of fun.

The best playing often lies...

IN-BETWEEN! :eek::wave:

• Members

Don't bother trying to learn how to tune by ear; after a while, it'll come to you, but still only use it when you have no other means of tuning. It's often inaccurate, no matter how long you've been doing it or how good you think you are at it. And definitely don't tune to the previous string on the 5th/4th fret. That's far more inaccurate and very, very few guitars are that precise.

• Members

you know, recently Ive noticed that my improvisation skills lack a bit of "color"

I have been using only pentatonics scales and sometimes they phrygian mode but It almost always sounds not in place. any tips for improving improvising? (besides hearing more music, that actually helps but not always I can get what I hear to what I'm playing)

imho; listening to more music; hearing new licks, new ways to approach phrasing from what other players do has been the biggest help to me over the years. not even just learning exactly what someone else is playing; but more what they're saying and how the say it and bring it together for yourself. i doubt you like just ONE player. and every notable player has a comfort zone and comfort licks he/she will pull out of the bag. "borrow" them, or take the idea and make it your own. someone else already played it anyway.

all my favorite guys are blues guys (slash, jimmy page, billy gibbons, jimi, SRV, gary rossington, mike mccready, etc) and i don't think any of them really sound the same even though they all basically come from the same roots. explore what the guys you admire are doing or did. that's what they did. :)

• Members

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of new on playing guitar (playing around a year or so), So ive opened

this thread to ask you guys which most of you are probably allot more experienced in playing guitar then me to write a few tips for everyone that might find interest in them.

hell, maybe even you better players may learn something from one another. there's always more place for knowledge and experience.

In tips I mean for example:

tips for improving tone, playing techniques, different ways to improve or learn new techniques such as sweeping, tapping and so so.

I'll be happy to hear from you guys
:):wave:

Here are my tips:

1.) Invest in a decent instrument; a good instrument will encourage you to practice and be less frustrating to play.

2.) Practice with metronomes, backing tracks and drum machines to improve timing.

3.) Use a heavy pick; most people find softer picks easier to use at first, but heavier picks give better tone, more control and lead to faster, cleaner, more confident playing.

4.) Learn theory; the only people that think theory is a bad thing are the people that don't know any.

5.) Learn the notes on the fretboard; kinda links to point 4, but theory is much more useful if you know what the notes are on the fretboard!!

6.) Practice scales; it's the basis of all music. Focus on the major and pentatonic scales first. Practice them as box patterns, arpeggio's, on one string and whilst improvising over backing tracks.

7.) Don't neglect rythmn playing - it what you'll spend 95% of your time doing, so you'd better be good at it!

8.) Don't get frustrated if you aren't making rapid or regular progress... it takes alot of hours over many years to get good and progress tend to come in fits and starts. You'll hit alot of plateaus... and go through other phases where progress seems to come easily.

9.) Join a band - playing with other musicians is motivating, good for timing and creativity etc. etc. and alot of fun too.

10.) If you can, find a good teacher.

• Members

Learn where the arpeggio's sit in the scales - helps with following chords.

Try practicing scales as intervals e.g. 3rds, 4ths etc.

Try thinking up of usual patterns within the existing scale patterns.

Play over backing tracks, try and apply the above ideas.

You have to kinda practice this stuff until the sounds are 'drilled' into your head... when you're improvising you'll just hear it in your head and be able to execute it without having to think about where your fingers need to go (hopefully).

Archived