G&L Legacy VS Fender Highway 1 Strat

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

The Tributes I have played were much better than MIM Fenders I have played. They are probably closer to the Highway 1 Strat. i have an American Legacy and ties a 50th Anniversary Fender as far as Fit, Finish, Feel, Quality, etc.

Those are my favorite Strats that I own. They easily beat out the other Am Standards, Am Deluxes, and the Deluxe Player.

• Members

The thing is, despite their obvious similarities, they are really very different instruments. If I were going for a straight strat sound I'd get a Fender (or build a partsocaster) 98/100 times. While the G&Ls are extremely high quality, well designed instruments, they are not the same as Fender strats.

I have yet to play a G&L that "speaks" to me like a great Fender, but they build more consistent "v. good to excellent" guitars. For me, they just aren't the right fit.

• Members
The thing is, despite their obvious similarities, they are really very different instruments. If I were going for a straight strat sound I'd get a Fender (or build a partsocaster) 98/100 times. While the G&Ls are extremely high quality, well designed instruments, they are not the same as Fender strats.

I have yet to play a G&L that "speaks" to me like a great Fender, but they build more consistent "v. good to excellent" guitars. For me, they just aren't the right fit.

Very well put. Spot on. I have two Fenders and two G&L's. I find myself going back more and more to the Fenders.

• Members

i've seen a few black ones on ebay lately, if you can find someone willing to ship to the EU.

I think I'll just wait. I've seen terrible guitars in the shops, i'm not willing to take the risk. Also, there may be quite a hassle with shipping items from overseas. It's not like not having a new guitar right now would kill me. I want it to become my main guitar for years and years, so it rather be good :cool:

Sorry for hijacking the thread;)

• Members

The only thing I changed on the Tribute was the tuners. I put locking tuners on it.

I have a 97 MIA Legacy, and I have never played a Strat that could hold a candle to it. And if the hardware on the Tributes is actually the same as on mine, I can't see any reason why anyone would want to change out the tuners. My Legacy never goes out of tune.

-Mikey

• Members

My bandmate has a 90s G&L ASAT (that's the tele, right?), and it's a beautiful guitar, for sure. The quality is impressive and it sounds good. It just doesn't grab me, though. Something about the feel. Dunno. I mean, I wouldn't kick the thing out of bed, but I'm not sure I would choose it as my main guitar.

I almost bought a used ASAT 15 years ago - and I still kick myself for not doing so - that was just killer. Anyway, these are my only G&L experiences. I'd certainly look at them if I was in the market, but I'm in a rural area and no one stocks them.

I love Fenders and I have a lot of respect for G&L, if you find the right guitar, you can't go wrong with either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

When I bought my Tribute S-500 it was the last one in the shop (had to drive an hour away to a shop that sells them) and he said it was end of the line and they were changing soon to use different electronics in the Tribute series. Don't know how much truth was in that.

• Members

I have a mid 2006 Hwy1. I love it. Walked out the door with it brand new for $500 and I feel it feels and plays just as good as my Standard.
DCP_0804.jpg

I don't like the "new age" stylings of the newer 70's headstock Hwy. 1s.

Hot pickups, wider neck, headstock, etc......

To me it doesn't feel like a real traditional strat.:wave:

• Members

I have a mid 2006 Hwy1. I love it. Walked out the door with it brand new for $500 and I feel it feels and plays just as good as my Standard.

DCP_0804.jpg

That was mean atrox. I WANT it. That one. Black 2006 HWY 1.

Edit: Oh no. I want a rosewood fingerboard, my mistake. Well, it was mean anyway.

• Members

That was mean atrox. I WANT it. That one. Black 2006 HWY 1.

Edit: Oh no. I want a rosewood fingerboard, my mistake. Well, it was mean anyway.

Haha. Sorry. I actually was going to get a burst H1, but it had a rosewood board and they arn't my thing, so I got this one.

• Members

I bought a Hwy 1 HSS. It plays great. The greasebucket tone knob works well for me; nice and smooth. I love the looks, IMHO. I did not like the trem... it was not stable, so I blocked it. Its much better now.

Played a Legacy at the store shortly after I bought my Hwy 1. Wow, it really felt good and sounded good, but it does not look good to me. It seemed superior to me to the Hwy 1, but I'm happy with what I have.

The stock HB in the Hwy 1 is OK for now, but I see the G&L HB uses a SD TB-4 trembucker. I might try one of those someday.

• Members

I find them different also, G+L and Fender. While I think either one has exceptional offerings and their so-so's? I just am mor into Fender Strats with an occasional Tele. I'll tell you what I have been wanting to play by G+L though, is their Bluesboy. Tele with a Seth in the neck-Semi-Hollow!

• Members

I would say so. The G&Ls, IMHO, are ultra uber quality guitars. The QC is unreal. I have a '98 Legacy and my friends with Fender CS guitars are always comparing it with their guitars, often more favorably than their CS. All this and I only paid $450 for it used! So, compared with a Highway 1, I'd say it was a no brainer. Of course, if you really want the Fender mojo (and logo) - it would be the Highway 1. Otherwise, go for the G&L.

Well the CS guitars are virtually the same as 'ordinary' Fenders, so I'm led to believe - same bodies, just the not-completely crap ones from the production line. What you pay for is a few 'custom features', and a 'built by master builder....'

• Members
How about the Tribute series?

I spotted a few at what seem to be incredible prices. How do they compare with Fenders or other G&L models?

I'd put the Tributes on a par with Fender MIMs. And I'd rather have a MIM Fender Strat or Tele than a Tribute, any day. I agree that the G&L's are better than the Hwy 1's. But not better than the American Deluxes, IMO. And absolutely not better than Fender CS guitars. OTOH, I've never been bitten by the G&L bug. I do admire (non Tribute) G&L's -- they are very fine guitars. And the Tributes are ok.

• Members

A friend of mine at work just got a new Highway 1, and I have a 90's Legacy....He paid over 600 new I paid 400 on ebay...the Highway 1 is nice, but not in the same ballpark as the G&L..I also had a G&L tribute series S500 which I feel was equal to if not even a little better than the Highway 1...

• Members

For me a Legacy every time. Why?

Well, just one or two good/bad experiences can fix an idea in your mind. I've played a couple of great Legacies lately, and one bad Hw 1 strat.

So now it's in my head that I must have a Legacy, and am not that interested in adding a Fender.

Moral: humans have a natural tendency to overrate the meaning of a limited number of experiences. I suspect that fact lies behind a lot of the recs you'd get here and elsewhere.

• Members

I have both a 2004-vintage American Series Strat and a new 2006/7 G&L Legacy Standard, and I would take the G&L over the MIA. And that is NOT because the MIA Strat is bad in any way, the G&L is just better in quality of build, feel and electronics.

• Members

I recently bought a G&L Comanche. Amazing guitar. After years of buying and selling guitars to find the "one", I think this is it. Extremely versatile, no issues such as fret buzz, sounds glorious, and is beautiful. I'm currently in the process of selling all my other guitars, now that I have this. Put it this way, this guitar sounds so good, I picked it up the other day before work thinking I could squeeze in 5 minutes of practice. I couldn't set the damm thing down, and ended up being 30 minutes late for work. It's that good of a guitar. And I'm a tone freak. If the legacy is anything like it, it must be awesome.

• Members

But does the G&L really have that "strat" sound?

:confused:

Legacies, yes, I think so. Each pickup position displays the general characteristics of a Fender Strat in those positions. I think my Legacy sounds very similar to the Eric Johnson Strat.

Anything with the MFD pickups, not quite. They're hotter than anything you will find in a strat and don't have as traditional a sound.

Archived