Crap, I cracked my Am Dlx Strat!

kmarsh

• Members

Heh, I'll admit I'm pissed about it, but not suicidal yet! ;) I'll take the luthier's suggestion above and check the neck bolts with a torque wrench... and just try to avoid looking at the crack from now on (hmmm... words to live by?).

"Come down off the ledge!"

:wave:

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I didn't buy it new, so I'm fairly certain Fender won't do anything for me. I'll take your advice, though, and set those neck bolts with a torque wrench. I assume you mean 9 ft/lbs and not 9 psi (?).

You should contact Fender your close enough to date time where they may take care of it-"May" do not get your hopes up-PM me your area and I will send you your reps contact info-If your honest they may take care of it for you or offer a very low discounted repair rate-Lastly that has a very tight neck pocket and the bolts are overtorked to the tilt ajustment pin IE: there is where most people get the crack and think it is common-It is only common when you crank the screws down over the pin and do not use a tork wrench to make them all the same and equil and with a soft tip not to scratch the screws to keep all bolts at equil PSI-Equil PSI at a lower tork is just as strong as if you crank the bolts down-When you crank the bolts down it spreads the neck heal causing expantion and even pulling at different directions and when no tork wrench is used is causes a twist effect against the pin-Very bad and it does cause pressure at the body heel inset outer points-A fender authorised repair shop with a spraybooth and buffers should do the repair(if you break it down and only send the body) and only send the body for about $200 max if it bugs you-If it dont bug you take a thin film of system 3 sealer and go over it then hit it with a hairdryer so it will not expand or chip off later-the system 3 will blend in but will not hide the damadge but back those bolts off to 9lbs PSI and make them all exactly the same tork.That is what caused the problem-Over tightened uneven torking of the neck bolts against the pin-That is not a common problem it is however a common problem for those who crank bolts down with a screwdriver

• Members

I love to hear what Fender says about this? I doubt very much they will cover the Stress Crack. Basically it happens from neglect. I wouldn't sweat it though, it not going o effect playing. Be carefull to handle Fender necks at an angle. Really no reason for it?

• Members

BTW, I believe it important to tighten the Bolt-On neck bolts evenly an in a X pattern. But I never heard of using a Torque Wrench on wood screws? Thats a new one to me. I have to check a couple of my Strats for the Hell of it to see where they are at with Torque? I have been hand tightening these forever in a X pattern. I don't like to tighten anything on a Strat to the point of putting impressions in the paint. From past experience.......if you are tightening ANYTHING on a wood electric? You just don't need it THAT tight. I've seen Tuning Machines tightened SO-TIGHT, that there were minor cracks in the Clear Finish! WTF? Why would you tighten it like that? Snug is all the 4-Bolts need to be. Not to the point of hearing the wood splinter under your pressure? I don't I guess these are all mistakes we all make at some point? You learn by your mistakes. Not the easiest way to learn, but effective!

• Moderators

It's quite interesting that the luthier above mentions using a torque wrench of some kind to tighten the neck screws. Some of you will remember recently a video of the Fender Custom Shop where they dismantled and assembled Claptons guitar with a drill driver.

Plus it also occurs to me that this Deluxe would have had its neck bolts tightened last by....yup The FMIC:thu:

• Members

Hell, my Telecaster was like that at the shop before I even bought it. To me it's a non issue. I did get a few bucks off for scratch's, dings, and finish cracks though ;) Rock on, it's likely not structual and in no way effects the integrity of the guitar. It might hurt your resale value slightly if you get an uptight buyer.

• Members

Good point. That's quite possible. No sense worrying about it any more.

I think I'll shoot Fender an e-mail and just get their input on how those neck bolts should be tightened... and then just forget about the finish crack.

I seriously doubt there is any connection between the "creak" you heard and the finish crack.Probably just caused you to take a close look at the finish near the neck.

• Members

I'm not inclined to trust a "luthier" who can't spell torque. Maybe I have a different idea of what a torque wrench looks like, but as far as I know they don't tighten wood screws.

I think the original poster would be silly to send it in to Fender for a tiny finish crack - trust me, there are more finish cracks on their way :D It would be much better to consider this "mojo" and move on! :cool:

• Members

never happened to me and I have had tons of strats. were you lifting it forcefully? I always grab the bottom of the guitar to lift it, not doing it by the neck. Anyway, I have seen some strats that had stress cracks but really never hurt their playability.

• Members

I had an Aria 335 clone (bolt on at that) that had cracks on both sides like this. On mine, turns out it was more serious. It was a semi-hollow, but more hollow than anything. The center block of the body was no more than 3/4" thick. The bolt on area for the neck wasn't really reinforced well so the tension of the strings ended up cracking the body all the way through after a few years. But on a strat, I wouldn't worry.

Archived