what string gauge do you use?

T0MCAT

• Members

Anyone use 11's or 12's on their strat. I debating between the two for my strat.

Also, is it OK to use strings other than Fender with the bridge on a 50's MIM strat. I just got it so this will be my first string change.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

10-52s on straight-tuned electrics. 12-54 on acoustics and open-tuned slide guitars. I favour Ernie Ball for electrics and Martin Phosphor Bronze for acoustics, but in real life any quality brand will do.

• Members

I use GHS Boomers 11's on all my electrics except for my Tele copy where I use 10's to try to get easier pedal steel-ish bends.

If you go from the stock 9's to 11's your Strat will need an adjustment at least to the bridge. It may also need a truss rod adjustment as well but you should let the 11's settle in for a few days before considering this.

• Members

The half .009s half .010s on my Strat, .012s on my Epiphone, used to be .013s but the A string snapped shortly after they were put on! Sigh. Much irrational swearing and disbelief that they didn't last forever...

- Ged

• Members

Thanks all.

I'll try nickel strings too, I hear they're warmer. I learned on my acoustic for the last three years, playing 12 s.

The 9's are horribly thin, and the 10's on my Dot are a bit thin too.

I do bend a lot!! 12's might be a bitch? Maybe I'll try the 11's for now. Hope the 11's improve the tone to some noticable extent too. Wonder if the nut will need to cut? Probably with 12's it may need some tweaking.

• Members

Put some .011's on and flatten the bridge. It will make a HUGE difference over the stock .009's and a slightly floating bridge. Better sustain, more thickness, and overall better tone. I don't have trouble bending at all with the .011's. Sure, it's not like .009's where you just look at the strings and they bend, but it's still easy enough. :thu:

• Members

.010's on electric (usually d'addario or dean markley. I tried elixirs, but they didn't bend too well) because they bend really nicely and don't flop around when I play rhythm. I used .011's for a while but I never really took an interest in playing leads for a long time, and when I started working on developing a lead guitar voice, the .011's didn't suit it.

• Members

Put some .011's on and flatten the bridge. It will make a HUGE difference over the stock .009's and a slightly floating bridge. Better sustain, more thickness, and overall better tone. I don't have trouble bending at all with the .011's. Sure, it's not like .009's where you just look at the strings and they bend, but it's still easy enough.
:thu:

I forgot to add that I tune to standard. Sounds nice and thick, but still has the classic Strat tone. :thu:

• Members

I use webstring 12-52's on my strat, tuned to standard. you will either have to block the bridge or buy a few extra strings to balance the tension if you dont want your bridge to float up off the body. I digs the feel and sound. :love:

Archived