dumb hollowbody question

johnrambo

• Members

i've been GASing for a hollowbody and have been looking at a few and it dawned on me... how the hell do you rewire one of those things? am i missing something. i guess you could wire the pots before you install them but can you fit your hand in the holes for the pickup to reach down there and mount them?

• Members

Yes. You tie string (or wire) to the pickups, pots & switches. Pull them out through the f-holes (or pickup hole). Replace whatever needs replacing and use the string to pull them back through the right holes.

Takes f-ing ages and should only be done if really necessary.

• Members

it is one of those things that is a real pain the first few times then you get pretty good at it. i used to swap pickups and custom wire everything, add switched pots and extra toggles, etc, so i was always yanking out the innards of the hollowbodies. I used fishing line, sewing thread, rubber bands, pipe cleaners, kite string, and tygon tubing. Ultimately i found the tubing or the pipe cleaners were best because the extra stiffness could help maneuver pot shafts right back into place and there was no tangling if you had 6 lines or more(4 pots, 1 jack, 1 toggle, etc).

As mentioned, if it is a fully hollow, everything comes out the pickup rout - very easy.

for a semi-hollow - different story: I had an Epi Sheraton (w/center block) and all the electronics had to come out the lower bout F-hole. The replacement pots i used were too large to fit thru so i had to slightly modify the F-hole to accommodate.

once you fish everything out, lay it out (upside down) on a towel on top of the guitar and solder it up, minding the distances between mounting holes, then flip over and gently feed each pice back through in reverse order of how they came out. pull your tubes/pipe cleaners/string right through the holes and re-install the washers/nuts. viola!

after years of perfecting my technique, all my guitars these days have externally mounted electronics plus an end pin jack, so it is not an issue. ah well.

Archived