yamaha tele style

pongki

• Members

Similar to the Mike Stern model? Is it the same?

The one I posted IS the Mike Stern signature model. The tuners and bridge are not original though. That has afaik been their top end tele style model, though there is one sold only in Japan that is on the same level but has H/S/H pickups if I remember correctly. They also had lower end models like the Pacifica 120 and Pacifica 311.

• Members

My Pacifica 1511.

yamaha_pacifica_1511-03.jpg

I thought those tele style Yammies had a contoured back. It's not very apparent on this picture. Nevertheless, it's a superb looking guitar. Looks like more quality than a Fender Tele. Mike Stern is a jazz player. How do you find this guitar for jazz playing (playability, sound, etc.)?

• Members

I thought those tele style Yammies had a contoured back. It's not very apparent on this picture. Nevertheless, it's a superb looking guitar. Looks like more quality than a Fender Tele. Mike Stern is a jazz player. How do you find this guitar for jazz playing (playability, sound, etc.)?

The back on this one isn't contoured, I think some of the other models may have contoured backs. The 1511 is very much a classic Tele type guitar (even vintage radius fretboard) except for the humbuckers. I think it's quite well suited to the fusion stuff Mike Stern plays. Mine is actually pretty dark and full sounding on the bridge pickup while the neck pickup is a bit more open. I've been thinking of replacing at least the bridge pickup with a single coil since I already have several humbucker guitars but only one with single coils.

• Members

The back on this one isn't contoured, I think some of the other models may have contoured backs. The 1511 is very much a classic Tele type guitar (even vintage radius fretboard) except for the humbuckers. I think it's quite well suited to the fusion stuff Mike Stern plays. Mine is actually pretty dark and full sounding on the bridge pickup while the neck pickup is a bit more open. I've been thinking of replacing at least the bridge pickup with a single coil since I already have several humbucker guitars but only one with single coils.

Funny, I tried one a coiuple of years ago and I thought I remembered it having a contour. Obviously, it didn't. What I do remember though is that it played VERY nice and had a smooth action and neck. Some middle range tele pacificas posted on this forum did have a contouired back and it seems like a good thing to add on any guitar. Surely Yamaha have designed the top range 1511 to compete directly with the Fender teles and appeal to the Pro musicians who are already partial to how a "real" tele was originally designed.

• Members

The Yammi tele's were at the top of my list when I was on the Tele hunt. The MS edition was a bit dear so I was looking for a lower end one to mod but those seem to go for a premium. Ended up with a Fender Aerodyne Tele but still liking the Yammi's.

• Members

I used to have one of their low-end ones...the 120, I think. I thought it was okay..the Mexi-Fender I have now is a *lot* better. I gave the Yamaha to my brother's girlfriend, and later on he gave me the Fender.. They split up, but I still have his guitar, and she has mine. All he got was a new girl. :)

• Members

Funny, I tried one a coiuple of years ago and I thought I remembered it having a contour. Obviously, it didn't. What I do remember though is that it played VERY nice and had a smooth action and neck. Some middle range tele pacificas posted on this forum did have a contouired back and it seems like a good thing to add on any guitar. Surely Yamaha have designed the top range 1511 to compete directly with the Fender teles and appeal to the Pro musicians who are already partial to how a "real" tele was originally designed.

I guess that it was Mike Stern's preference to not have the back contours. I believe the non-signature models have a flatter fretboard too. More modern affairs I suppose.

Archived