Problem with Epiphone Dot Studio

djp141

• Members

Was looking for a decent, cheap guitar, so I just bought a Dot Studio from MF. I like the way it plays, sounds, and looks. There is one problem, though. When I bend strings (any string, any fret) there is an audible "scraping" sound of the string against the fretboard. I have owned about 2 dozen guitars, and have never had one do this before. Is the fretboard dried out? Does it need a setup? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails, I can just send it back. (This is why I hate buying online. :mad: )

• Members

Anything from MF is going to need a setup. I'd also oil the fretboard during that process. Tune-o-Matic type guitars easy to set up IMO. I have several Epiphone and even uber some cheap ones and had to set them all up.

And rubbing against the fretboard, sounds a bit like some heavy handed technique as well.

• Members

Don't push down so hard dude! ;)

I've noticed this phenomenon on a couple of my rosewood boards (especially ones with more open grain) and it is annoying. I think if you oiled the fingerboard, that'd probably help. But, maybe not worth the risk if it might void the MF return policy. I have no idea if it would though, just something to think about.

• Members

Rarely does a string ever touch a fretboard. What you're hearing is the string against the frets. Time to sand and polish your frets!

+1 Give them a quick once-over with some 0000 steel wool (just use some painter's tape on either side of the fret so you don't scratch up the fretboard) and you'll be good to go. It's quite common on new guitars, especially if they've been sitting around in the warehouse for a while.

• Members

+1 Give them a quick once-over with some 0000 steel wool (just use some painter's tape on either side of the fret so you don't scratch up the fretboard) and you'll be good to go. It's quite common on new guitars, especially if they've been sitting around in the warehouse for a while.

:thu: +1

Don't forget to cover the pickups as well. Oherwise you'll have a bunch of steel wool dust stuck to your pickups.

Archived