Highway 1 VS 62 MIJ telecasters

Nuno_F

• Members

Next week I'm going to get a telecaster. I was set on a highway one, but I have recently come across the 62 MIJ reissue model, which I can get for the same price as the highway one and I can't make up my mind. Pictures in the links below.

The 62 one has a rosewood fingerboard, and since I don't have any guitars with maple fingerboards I the highway one seems to make more sense. I also don't mind the finish. I have a highway one jazzbass and the finish is fine.

Which one would you get and why?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_62_tele_custom_rw_3tsb.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_highway_one_tele_mn_3tsb.htm

• Members

I would get the Highway 1, purely because I have one and it is great. i have no experience with the MIJ tele.

I quite like my highway one jazzbass. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I also tried a highway one telecaster the other day in a shop and thought it was very good, but they also some MIJ ones with a bigsy that looked very very impressive and that was what started my indecision.

• Members

I quite like my highway one jazzbass. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I also tried a highway one telecaster the other day in a shop and thought it was very good, but they also some MIJ ones with a bigsy that looked very very impressive and that was what started my indecision.

Ah, I see. Did you try the Highway One in a shop in Ireland? (I noticed your location). Yeah, the Japanese models with the Bigsby's do look incredible. Is a vibrato a big deal for you? You could always go with the American Highway One and fit the Bigsby later on.

Those prices on Thomann are pretty good too. I paid 800 for my Highway One in Music Maker, Dublin.

• Members

I have a Highway 1 Tele, a 2003 and it is a pretty good guitar. The pups make more noise than I would like, but the nature of the beast. I believe I will replace them though. I love the neck on the Highway 1, and I like the finish on mine, the honey blonde. It is getting it's own sheen and has a vintage look and feel to it.

That said, I would try out those MIJ models too. They are pretty sweet, and may be a step up quality wise to the 1. What is neck radius? It's 9.5" on the 1. No metric for you here, sorry.

p.s. My siser lives in Dublin. Great city! Just became a dual US/Irish citizen.

• Members

I have a Highway 1 Tele, a 2003 and it is a pretty good guitar. The pups make more noise than I would like, but the nature of the beast. I believe I will replace them though. I love the neck on the Highway 1, and I like the finish on mine, the honey blonde. It is getting it's own sheen and has a vintage look and feel to it.

That said, I would try out those MIJ models too. They are pretty sweet, and may be a step up quality wise to the 1. What is neck radius? It's 9.5" on the 1. No metric for you here, sorry.

p.s. My siser lives in Dublin. Great city! Just became a dual US/Irish citizen.

The neck radius is 7.25". The pickups are USA Texas specials. Are these much better than the alnico 3 ones on the highway?

• Members

Bump. Anyone knows if these texas special pickups are better than the alnico 3 on the highway?

I am after a traditional tele sound. I don't care if they're high output or noiseless at all.

• Members

Bump. Anyone knows if these texas special pickups are better than the alnico 3 on the highway?

I am after a traditional tele sound. I don't care if they're high output or noiseless at all.

Hmm, tough question. I like the neck tone of the Highway 1 better than the Texas Special, but the Texas Special bridge tone is much better than the Highway 1 bridge.

Quality wise? Yes, they are better since they are CS. The Highway 1's are budget...

Basicly, both will get you the traditional Tele sound...

• Members

Hmm, tough question. I like the neck tone of the Highway 1 better than the Texas Special, but the Texas Special bridge tone is much better than the Highway 1 bridge.

Quality wise? Yes, they are better since they are CS. The Highway 1's are budget...

Basicly, both will get you the traditional Tele sound...

I still can't make up my mind. I guess it's a bit down to the rosewood/maple fretboard.

I am leaning more to the highway one just because I don't have any guitars with maple fretboards, but honestly the 62 just seems like a better deal to me. Better quality parts, beautiful finish.... It's a though decision.

I could make another thread with a maple versus rosewood debate. Maybe that would sort it...lol

• Members

When I bought my MIJ, a big factor for me was the finish, and there are a couple of things to say on the matter:

1. Fender Japan does some of the best finishing work I have ever seen

2. All of the MIJ Fenders have a glossy neck on the back, beautifuly clear-coated, and since it's poly, it's not sticky like nitro would be, and I just love the feel of those necks. The Highway neck finish is satin, and generaly very dry and with a slight sandy feel to it.

For the money, the MIJ is a better guitar overall

• Members

That's what I am thinking also.

I have a hard time believing the rosewood fretboard will make any significant difference in tone anyway.

I still have 10 days to think about it.

• Members

When I bought my MIJ, a big factor for me was the finish, and there are a couple of things to say on the matter:

1. Fender Japan does some of the best finishing work I have ever seen

2. All of the MIJ Fenders have a glossy neck on the back, beautifuly clear-coated, and since it's poly, it's not sticky like nitro would be, and I just love the feel of those necks. The Highway neck finish is satin, and generaly very dry and with a slight sandy feel to it.

I don't agree with #2 at all. My Highway 1 is clearcoated and very glossy. If it is a nitro finish, it is not sticky at all, not one bit. And it's not the least bit sandy feel to it at all. Not as glossy as say my LPs, but still the neck on it is great. Could be too, that my neck is just broken in a little bit more. One thing too, the radius is 9.5 with medium jumbo frets. I like this combo better than the 7.25" radius and vintage (smaller) frets. But that's a personal preference thing.

I would agree with #1 though. The MIJ in my local shop are very very nice. They run about $1k too.

• Members

I don't agree with #2 at all. My Highway 1 is clearcoated and very glossy. If it is a nitro finish, it is not sticky at all, not one bit. And it's not the least bit sandy feel to it at all. Not as glossy as say my LPs, but still the neck on it is great. Could be too, that my neck is just broken in a little bit more. One thing too, the radius is 9.5 with medium jumbo frets. I like this combo better than the 7.25" radius and vintage (smaller) frets. But that's a personal preference thing.

I would agree with #1 though. The MIJ in my local shop are very very nice. They run about $1k too.

The neck is poly, and judging by what you're saying, my neck was probably a lemon. Btw, the don't make MIJ's with vintage frets. The medium jumbo's are standard on all MIJ Fenders.

• Members

I just notices that you can't select both pickups on the 62 telecaster? Anyone can confirm this?

According to one of the online shops:

"e: Position 1: Bridge Pickup; Position 2: Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit); Position 3: Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)"

• Members

but my 3 way selector is neck/neck+bridge/bridge. All with V+T control. Stock

Hope it helps

The new ones don't allow neck and bridge. As far as I'm concerned another feature that would be better left off in 1962....

Thanks. It did help :)

Archived