Are you guys sick of hearing about the Champ 600's yet?

voneville

• Members

Mine came in today. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it, but so far I'm really impressed and don't feel like I wasted my money or that I would want to return it.

It really brings out the sound of the guitar. Switching from my Tele Standard with stock single coils to my Squire Custom HH drastically changes the sound of the amp, but so far everything has very useable tones. I haven't had time to run any effects yet, but I hear that it responds well to gain boost and reverb. The low end is a little weak and farty when you crank it and bust an E power chord, but it is a 6" speaker, so what do you expect? Blues licks really sound great though. Mine is about as quiet as any other Class A tube amp I've ever played with single coils. With buckers the hum sounding like any other tube amp. Maybe I got lucky?

Between the Epiphone Valve Jr, the Blues Junior, and the Champ 600 I'm definatley digging the Champ the most. I do think a vintage champ does sound better, but finding one good to go for $200 these days isn't really feasable for me. Yea, they're out there, but I don't have time to look around and find one. I'm not exactly in a Mecca for that sort of thing out here.

I'll try to get around to posting some clips this weekend. If you're on the fence about these amps I'd recomend it, if nothing else it looks really cool with a Tele sitting next to it ;)

• Members

I actually was considering the frontman 25 with reverb, but this won out because it was so damn cool looking. The frontman is a nice practice amp though.

I have the 15w version, don't know how much it differs from the 25er since I'm not familiar with the products.. Figured I couldn't go wrong with anything with Fender on it, but the volume control pretty much acts like an on/off switch. It's either insanely loud or too low.

I don't have it here, bought it for practice while staying overseas and it's still there. I should probably try to install a better pot if I get the chance :)

• Members

I still love mine.I think you will find that the stock speaker sounds pretty good if you give it some time to "break-in".

That's a good point, this is actually the first amp I've bought with a new speaker in a very long time, like 6 to 8 years!

• Members

I've been looking at one at my local Guitar Center....I might be about to "bite" on it. Only problem that particular one had was the notorious "speaker fart" above 10 on volume. But below that was wonderful.

I play blues and relatively low-gain stuff, so it could be the ticket for a practice amp.

Roger

• Members

Congrats on the new amp Voneville. I got lucky and got a V8 palomino off ebay for $220 shipped so I went with that and I love it. I was definitely considering the champ.

BTW, who is that tatt'ed chick in your avatar?

• Members

Congrats, I am debating whether to get the Champion 600 or the Blues Junior. I am still on the fence, but Happy NAD!

See my new amp day post and consider the crate V8 palomino. Way cheaper than a blues junior. Way louder than a champion if you want it to be.

• Members

Congrats on the new amp Voneville. I got lucky and got a V8 palomino off ebay for $220 shipped so I went with that and I love it. I was definitely considering the champ.

BTW, who is that tatt'ed chick in your avatar?

I haven't checked out the crate. Sounds like a cool amp though. I've never really been into crate amps, but I haven't played one in quite a few years.

The tattoo'd chick is or was a Suicide Girl.

I don't really have the fart issue's with my tele, but I imagine a gibson would be fart city, at least until the speaker breaks in.

• Members

See my new amp day post and consider the crate V8 palomino. Way cheaper than a blues junior. Way louder than a champion if you want it to be.

Ive played those and the stock ones Ive tried all seem too trebley. I turned the tone knob all the way down and was still too trebley for my taste. Its a great amp for the price however and seems like a great deal, just not the sound Im looking for.

• Members

Well I hope you find what you like. I know it's hard. Everyone's different. I have always had good luck following the crowd when it comes to guitars, but I never seem to like the popular choice in amps. So we each go in a different direction which brings diversity to our little community.

And, I still need an answer on that chick with the tat's

• Members

I am usually pretty reluctant to jump on the forum bandwagons (Agile, etc., whatever the flavor of the month is :) ) but the Champ 600 is for real. Sweet vintage tones for blues and classic rock, nice low volume cleans. The one I tried didn't sound farty when I cranked it - just good. If you're hammering out power chords, this isn't the amp for you anyway.

I have not played the V8 but IMO the Champ 600 sounds WAY better than the Blues Jr...but the Blues Jr. can be gigged while the Champ won't even come close (unmiked). Strictly a bedroom amp and a damn good one.

• Members

im kinda sick of hearing about them. i wasnt that impressed with the one in my store, but i blame the speaker. when i plugged it into a peavey classic 2x12 cab, it was amazing. great little amp. now, if someone would buy the damn thing...

• Members

I have the 15w version, don't know how much it differs from the 25er since I'm not familiar with the products.. Figured I couldn't go wrong with anything with Fender on it, but the volume control pretty much acts like an on/off switch. It's either insanely loud or too low.

I don't have it here, bought it for practice while staying overseas and it's still there. I should probably try to install a better pot if I get the chance
:)

my Frontman 15R has the same problem - too low or way too high... I bought it for that REVERB and it makes a nice small practice amp (takes my Zoom G2 real nice too). must be "a Frontman Thang". :freak:

• Members

my Frontman 15R has the same problem - too low or way too high... I bought it for that REVERB and it makes a nice small practice amp (takes my Zoom G2 real nice too). must be "a Frontman Thang".
:freak:

Yup, looks like they installed the wrong kind of pot for the volume control. At first I thought it would be a defect on mine since there was no mention of it in the reviews in the database here, but it seems that I'm not alone. :idk:

• Members

Can you really compare that amp to a Blues Junior?

A Blues Junior has a speaker twice the size, bass, trebel, mids, reverb, master volume, more watts....
:confused:

Not only that, but the Blues Jr has a totally different voicing to it. The Champion 600 is quite dark, and produces a very warm tone on every guitar I've tried it with. The Blues Jr, on the other hand, is much brighter and (at least my stock variety) has a brittle quality to the tone. I replaced the speaker, but it is still an incredibly bright amp. I actually have to keep the treble knob down at about 2 on my Jr to get a tone I like. Right now, the replacement speaker is an alnico variety, so I may have to try a ceramic one...I know that the stock eminence was ceramic.

• Members

I almost decided to get the Champ 600 instead of my Jr. NOS, but I couldn't find one to A/B. I got the NOS for about 200 bones more. Plus, since I only buy a new amp every 20 years, I thought I should spring for the Jr.

• Members

Can you really compare that amp to a Blues Junior?

A Blues Junior has a speaker twice the size, bass, trebel, mids, reverb, master volume, more watts....
:confused:

Sure you can compare them. They both produce sound. Are they in the same class? No. But I definatly like the sound of the Champ better for the music I play.

• Members

Sure you can compare them. They both produce sound. Are they in the same class? No. But I definatly like the sound of the Champ better for the music I play.

They're both popular choices for a home player looking for a (relatively inexpensvive) tube combo, so that makes them comparable in a sense.

Archived