I found a serious issue with my Edwards Les Paul!

Hoddy

• Members

Oh yeah, one other issue or two, I really like tall pickup rings, I like the look of a humbucker with not much sticking out of the top of the ring. My Edwards came with rings comparable in height to a Standard Les Paul. Historic have rings are taller so I ordered a pair. Of course they don't have arched bottoms so I used the old rings, which were arched as a template and scribed the arch onto the new rings. Then with some 220 grit sandpaper and a curved sanding block I was able to match the arch exactly. They fit perfectly and added about another 3/16" height to the rings.:cool: And I didn't really care for the greenish colored Kluson style tuners so I swapped them out for genuine Klusons that are a nice ivory color.:cool:

• Members

Oh yeah, one other issue or two, I really like tall pickup rings, I like the look of a humbucker with not much sticking out of the top of the ring. My Edwards came with rings comparable in height to a Standard Les Paul. Historic have rings are taller so I ordered a pair. Of course they don't have arched bottoms so I used the old rings, which were arched as a template and scribed the arch onto the new rings. Then with some 220 grit sandpaper and a curved sanding block I was able to match the arch exactly. They fit perfectly and added about another 3/16" height to the rings.
:cool:
And I didn't really care for the greenish colored Kluson style tuners so I swapped them out for genuine Klusons that are a nice ivory color.

I may do the same thing for pup rings. I like the taller ones myself.

Now you need to do this:

DSCN1949.jpg

• Members

I may do the same thing for pup rings. I like the taller ones myself.

Now you need to do this:

DSCN1949.jpg

I actually posted your pic over at www.tokaiforums.com , some of the folks there were asking about putting a Gibby truss rod cover on their Edwards so I posted you pic along with your description. Hope you don't mind. I have a Gibby cover and test fitted it, you can barely notice the route at the nut. :cool:

Oh, and with the Historic PU rings, the bridge pickup is barely above the ring...just the way I like it.

• Members

I actually posted your pic over at
www.tokaiforums.com
, some of the folks there were asking about putting a Gibby truss rod cover on their Edwards so I posted you pic along with your description. Hope you don't mind. I have a Gibby cover and test fitted it, you can barely notice the route at the nut.

Oh, and with the Historic PU rings, the bridge pickup is barely above the ring...just the way I like it.

No I don't mind at all.

I was gonna cut a tiny piece of wood to cover the hole over the truss rod nut but like you said, it's barely noticeable so I left it alone.

While we're talking Edwards mods, I also added knob pointers.

EdwardsLP2.jpg

• Members

No I don't mind at all.

I was gonna cut a tiny piece of wood to cover the hole over the truss rod nut but like you said, it's barely noticeable so I left it alone.

While we're talking Edwards mods, I also added knob pointers.

EdwardsLP2.jpg

Cool, there's some great guys over there...and I also added the knob pointers.:D

I also added a lightweight aluminum tailpiece.

• Members

Cool, there's some great guys over there...and I also added the knob pointers.
:D

I also added a lightweight aluminum tailpiece.

Could you tell a tone difference from that?

I put one on my old Epi LP but I changed so many things on it I'm not sure it made a difference.

I did a restring today and top wrapped the tail this time. So far I like it better. Sustain seems to have improved a bit.

• Members

Could you tell a tone difference from that?

I put one on my old Epi LP but I changed so many things on it I'm not sure it made a difference.

I did a restring today and top wrapped the tail this time. So far I like it better. Sustain seems to have improved a bit.

Acoustically I can tell quite a difference, it's louder and resonates much better, I haven't had a chance to really crank it through my amp yet. There's an Ebay seller in Germany who makes them, and his prices are lower than most others I've seen. It was $32 including shipping. It was a bit too tight for the studs but five minutes with a dremel and grinding wheel took care of that.:cool:

Archived